Can't enable Adobe flash 11 plugin

Hi everyone,

I did everything as described in the "Browsers" section of the FreeBSD handbook here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/desktop-browsers.html. But Firefox and Chromium somehow completely ignore my efforts. In "about:plugins" Firefox says "No enabled plugins found". Well I even have no error message to supply. Kind of frustrated, I'd appreciate help.

System:

Code:
9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:46:30 UTC 2012     root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Desktop is LXDE.

Thanks!

I had the same problem and I did one more step which I think isn't mentioned in the handbook.

Create a folder named plugins in ~/.mozilla/plugins and put libflashplayer.so there or create a symbolic link.

Then update nspluginwrapper as: $ nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

daenerysc said:
I had the same problem and I did one more step which I think isn't mentioned in the handbook.

Create a folder named plugins in ~/.mozilla/plugins and put libflashplayer.so there or create a symbolic link.

It might be necessary to create a ~/.mozilla/plugins. But the only file I have there is the one created by nspluginwrapper, npwrapper.libflashplayer.so. Copying or symlinking other files there could leave orphaned files that cause mysterious problems after upgrades.

daenerysc said:

Oh, I had this idea on some far border of my mind, but being the ultimate noob just left it behind. :)

Thanks a lot - it works! :e

wblock@ said:
It might be necessary to create a ~/.mozilla/plugins. But the only file I have there is the one created by nspluginwrapper, npwrapper.libflashplayer.so. Copying or symlinking other files there could leave orphaned files that cause mysterious problems after upgrades.
Well, I removed the mentioned symlink leaving only npwrapper.libflashplayer.so in plugins directory, and I still can use flash11 in Firefox. I think I got the idea. :)

Thanks!

Back