Can't boot FreeBSD USB installer on Kamrui AK1PLUS miniPC (Intel Alder Lake N100)

Greetings. I can't boot a FreeBSD USB installer on my new Kamrui AK1PLUS miniPC (Intel Alder Lake N100).

Tried using both FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE and 14.0-RELEASE, with both the bootonly.iso and memstick.img installers, and tried with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 drives, but no luck.

This new machine unfortunately does not feature a legacy boot mode. It boots a Linux UEFI mode USB installer without any problems.

Any tips that would spare me from buying a CD/DVD drive for this box? Would even that work sans a legacy boot mode? I'm buffaloed.

Thanks.

"Can't boot" does not give people much to go by?

A description about what happens might night provide a clue.

Personally, I would try booting via Ventoy to see how far you get.

I configure the BIOS to boot the USB drive but it boots the NVMe drive regardless.
Does this PC have a "boot device selection" key during boot? maybe that helps.
memstick.img should be able to boot fine from an USB stick on an UEFI system. How did you put the image on the USB stick?

Does this PC have a "boot device selection" key during boot? maybe that helps.
It does not. It has boot option #1, boot option #2, etc., for the USB, NVMe, "Hard Disk," Network boot, etc.
memstick.img should be able to boot fine from an USB stick on an UEFI system. How did you put the image on the USB stick?
Linux "USB Image Writer" program running on the same drive, same machine.

I'm trying the Ventoy program which balanga recommended right now, looks promising...

The memstick.img image is compatible with dd.
For me this is the simples and most stable way to create a freebsd memstick.
E.g. dd if=/home/xyz/memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1m - you have to use the whole device as 'of', not a single partition.

You should copy a FreeBSD ISO img to the first partition to try and boot from it. I'd also suggest copying

Thanks I tried your link and it booted up just fine, and I'll use it again later to try out mfsbsd, after I hopefully get done installing FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img plus the 14.0 image... my error was in assuming that I should use the i386 architecture instead of the amd64 architecture-- an assumption I made because the Alder Lake N100 processor is listed as an Intel processor. In the past I had always used i386 files successfully whenever I saw the "Intel Inside" sticker, but I see with your help that this assumption is not valid now. And that appears at this point to have been the only problem I was having.

I don't really "need" Ventoy either, but I like it, and if it checks out as working as well as it appears to be working, I'll probably become a regular user of it, insofar as it allows one to put a number of different installers on a single USB stick all at once, which is a really nice perk.

efi is not supported on freebsd i386 so the i386 images have no efi support and the pc wont boot without efi so....

Thanks I tried your link and it booted up just fine, and I'll use it again later to try out mfsbsd, after I hopefully get done installing FreeBSD-13.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img plus the 14.0 image... my error was in assuming that I should use the i386 architecture instead of the amd64 architecture-- an assumption I made because the Alder Lake N100 processor is listed as an Intel processor.
Afaik the architecture was named amd64 cause amd first brought it up.
Anyhow it is also meant for all Intel 64bit processors.

Afaik the architecture was named amd64 cause amd first brought it up.
Anyhow it is also meant for all Intel 64bit processors.
Thanks I knew that once but I've slept since then and had forgotten about it. All the Intel boxes I've put FreeBSD on up to now have been 32 bit machines, and I used i386 on them.

Although I finally got FreeBSD 13.2 installed it took several attempts and I was completely unable to install 14.0. I repeatedly got this message:

Firmware Error (ACPI) could not resolve symbol [\50PC00.LPCB.ITE8.GETT], AE_NOT_FOUND (20201113/psargs-503) ACPI Error: Aborting method \_TZ.TZ00._TMP do to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20201113/psparse-689)

Thanks I knew that once but I've slept since then and had forgotten about it. All the Intel boxes I've put FreeBSD on up to now have been 32 bit machines, and I used i386 on them.

Although I finally got FreeBSD 13.2 installed it took several attempts and I was completely unable to install 14.0. I repeatedly got this message:

Firmware Error (ACPI) could not resolve symbol [\50PC00.LPCB.ITE8.GETT], AE_NOT_FOUND (20201113/psargs-503) ACPI Error: Aborting method \_TZ.TZ00._TMP do to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20201113/psparse-689)
Do you get this error when using Ventoy?

Which Intel boxes are you using? I'm currently using a Thinkpad X61which is over 15 years old and it works fine with FreeBSD 14.0 AMD64.

You can try to upgrade the 13.2 installation to 14.0 using freebsd-update().

Back