Canon PIXMA MX860

Has anyone attempted to or had any luck getting one of these printers to work with FreeBSD? I see information on getting it to work with linux but not with FreeBSD.

Me too, mine is Canon PIXMA iP2580 (iP2500 series). It's not working with my FreeBSD8. I read about usb printer setting on FreeBSD, I tried as their examples but not working. I don't know how to do with my Canon printer.

The first step is to figure out which PDL (Page Description Language) the printer supports. openprinting.org is usually the place I look, but it's still down as part of the kernel.org problems.

If a printer supports text, PCL, or PostScript, it's easy: lpd Printing With FreeBSD

Printers with less-common PDLs are often supported through CUPS.

Hi wblock,

I was going through with your CUPS link. I install cups and gutenprint also.
With the CUPS web interface from localhost, I added my Canon printer though there aren't Canon ip2500 ppd files, I used ip2000 and ip3000. When I made print test, I got
Code:
Error: Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!
. What should I do next?

Sorry, I don't use CUPS. There may be additional filter software needed to deal with whatever the printer expects for output.

I tried also your examples of lpt using. Still don't get even just a print out from the USB Canon printer.

wblock@ said:
What PDL does the printer use?

I don't know what PDL use of the printer. How to look for it?
My Printer information from dmesg are as the following;
Code:
ugen0.3: <Canon> at usbus0
ulpt0: <Canon iP2500 series, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.11, addr 3> on usbus0
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

The exact printer model is Canon PIXMA iP2580.

Update For using CUPS;
The last time I re-configured for cups, it not showing error as above. When I made test prints, showing processing, then later Idle in printer status. But it didn't make just a print.

htutt said:
I don't know what PDL use of the printer. How to look for it?

The manufacturer should show it in the manual, but the only manuals I can find are compressed Windows exe files. Canon's specifications for the iP2500 on the web page is useless, too. As I said above, openprinting.org usually is a good place to look, but they're still down.

Thank you for your help. I hope, maybe someone find out the way how to get a print from those printers sooner or later.

Can someone recommend a printer that is not such a pain to use with FreeBSD that also has wireless networking support?

Canon Pixma ip2500 series are working with ghostscript and the proprietary Canon Linux driver. There is some hassle to get /compat/linux/usr/local/bin/cifip2500 running on the Linux compatibility layer. Plus you will need a simple filter which uses ghostscript to convert ps to ppmraw and then cifip2500 to convert into Canon Language. Afterwards printing flies off with native LPD spooler under FreeBSD.

Few steps:
  1. Download the Canon Linux driver (RPM package): http://www.canon-europe.com/Support...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:13-742545&page=1&type=download
  2. Extract with rpm2cpio into /compat/linux
  3. Check that cifip2500 works, if not use truss to pinpoint errors in Linux shared libraries
  4. Establish LPD spooler with appropriate printcap entry: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html
  5. Create your "own" filter with an entry similar to this: gs -sDEVICE=ppmraw -sOutputFile=- - |/compat/linux/usr/local/bin/cifip2500
  6. Test your print page by lpr YourTestPage.ps
Most likely this works with all Canon printers which have a Linux driver.

Back