Cannot startlxde

It's weird that Lxde fail to start using Slim. I need to check using startx. It's done and no Lxde. Can someone give me an hint?

Perhaps it is worth creating a file .xinitrc in the user directory with the following content:
Code:
exec startlxde

For SLiM your .xinitrc needs to look something like this:
Code:
DEFAULTWM= awesome

[ -f "$HOME/.Xresources" ] && xrdb "$HOME/.Xresources"

if [ -n "$1" ]; then
        case $1 in
                default) exec ${DEFAULTVM}
                         ;;
                *) exec "$@"
                         ;;
        esac
else
        exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session urxvt
fi

SLiM passes 'default' or the chosen DE/WM as an argument. And I suggest making sure Xorg itself actually works before enabling SLiM.

Hello and thank-you for the answers. I have been able to startlxde. The problem is in the file $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 . Lxde do not like the line
gtk-modules="gail:atk-bridge". Putting it in remark make Lxde start. I keep checking that.

An other problem is that the lxpanel plugin weather do not find any city so, it do not give me any weather. This problem is effective too in Arch and Debian.
Editing the file ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel to enter the data of my city manually change nothing.

An other problem is that the lxpanel plugin weather do not find any city so, it do not give me any weather. This problem is effective too in Arch and Debian.
Editing the file ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel to enter the data of my city manually change nothing.
The weather service used may not be available or supported anymore, this happened in the LXQt version.
Or simply:
The lxde weather widget uses Yahoo as it's source of weather information. Check your location is recognised on the Yahoo weather web page. You may have to settle for the nearest available place to your location.

It's a bug or so who have been reported there https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=237334 . I am happy to workaround this bug and use Lxde because I am a fan of Openbox and Lxde extend it's possibilities. More important I do not want to leave FreeBSD because Linux have more developpers support on matérial and on some drivers.
I do believe that LXDE has been mostly deprecated in favor of LXQT which is the direct dropin replacement based on the qt platform that KDE is also based on.

It's a bug or so who have been reported there https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=237334 . I am happy to workaround this bug and use Lxde because I am a fan of Openbox and Lxde extend it's possibilities. More important I do not want to leave FreeBSD because Linux have more developpers support on matérial and on some drivers.
did you know you can use xfce4 panel in openbox too? xfce is modular too as far as I know (AFAIK)
just add it to the startup in ob then start OB with xinitrc or a login manager.

the weather plugin on xfce4 works on my freebsd 13.1

Just thought I'd toss this in here to give you another option. You can use OpenBox and add to it if OB is the main part you like

Back