cannot install eclipse ide (openjdk 6 compiling error)

Hi,
I'm trying to installing the Eclipse IDE from the ports, but I'm failing with the following error:

Code:
/usr/bin/g++ -D_ALLBSD_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -DAMD64 -I/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/src/share/vm
 -I/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/src/share/vm/prims -I/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/src/cpu/x86/vm
 -I/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/src/os/bsd/vm -I/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/src/os_cpu/bsd_x86/vm
 -I/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/src/share/vm/adlc -I../generated -DASSERT -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -DTARGET_OS_FAMILY_bsd
 -DTARGET_ARCH_x86 -DTARGET_ARCH_MODEL_x86_64 -DTARGET_OS_ARCH_bsd_x86 -DTARGET_OS_ARCH_MODEL_bsd_x86_64 -DTARGET_COMPILER_gcc -DCOMPILER2
 -DCOMPILER1  -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -pthread -fcheck-new -m64 -pipe -DTARGET_OS_FAMILY_bsd -DTARGET_ARCH_x86 -DTARGET_ARCH_MODEL_x86_64
 -DTARGET_OS_ARCH_bsd_x86 -DTARGET_OS_ARCH_MODEL_bsd_x86_64 -DTARGET_COMPILER_gcc -DCOMPILER2 -DCOMPILER1  -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -pthread
 -fcheck-new -m64 -pipe -Werror -g -c -o ../generated/adfiles/output_h.o /usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/src/share/vm/adlc/output_h.cpp 
gmake[6]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/build/bsd-amd64/hotspot/outputdir/bsd_amd64_compiler2/product'
gmake[5]: *** [ad_stuff] Error 2
gmake[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/build/bsd-amd64/hotspot/outputdir/bsd_amd64_compiler2/product'
gmake[4]: *** [product] Error 2
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/build/bsd-amd64/hotspot/outputdir'
gmake[3]: *** [generic_build2] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/make'
gmake[2]: *** [product] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work/hotspot/make'
gmake[1]: *** [hotspot-build] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/openjdk6/work'
gmake: *** [build_product_image] Error 2
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/openjdk6.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/openjdk6.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/eclipse.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/eclipse.

The problem is related to openjdk 6. I've done a ports update with

Code:
portsnap fetch update

and my system is:

Code:
# uname -a
FreeBSD fluca-laptop 9.0-RC1 FreeBSD 9.0-RC1

Any idea about?
Thanks

I was able to manually install openjdk7 from the ports, but again eclipse will not compile complaining about openjdk6. I'm installing openjdk6 from the ports and then I will try again with eclipse.

I've installed openjdk6 from ports, and then eclipse and everything worked.
Anyone has an idea about why eclipse didn't compile well openjdk6?

I don't think eclipse & it's port is very well maintained on FreeBSD.
I really wouldn't recommend to get used to this IDE.

For example.
java/eclipse-cdt wasn't updated for years. It was at v3... when I updated it to v6.

btw. I want to drop this port, but there's no one interested to maintain it :(

Id recommend to learn editors/vim. That's a real, hardcore IDE

Of course if you're going to develop in java eclipse and/or netbeans might be best for that specific task

graudeejs said:
I don't think eclipse & it's port is very well maintained on FreeBSD.
I really wouldn't recommend to get used to this IDE.

Well, this is almost the de-facto IDE for most of the development, not only tied to Java. It is said to know that it is not fully supported on FreeBSD, since eclipse not only allows the multi-language development, but allows the development of RCP and web-rcp applications.

graudeejs said:
Id recommend to learn editors/vim. That's a real, hardcore IDE

I'm an emacs guy...

I installed eclipse-cdt directly few weeks ago on a 8.2-RELEASE x86 with no troubles. It installed all JDKs (diablo, jdk1.6 and openjdk6) with the tz manual step, all ports with default installation settings. This is a 32bit machine.

I was trying on 9 rc1 on 64 bit machine, maybe there is something in the ports that is not ready yet?

freethread said:
I installed eclipse-cdt directly few weeks ago on a 8.2-RELEASE x86 with no troubles. It installed all JDKs (diablo, jdk1.6 and openjdk6) with the tz manual step, all ports with default installation settings. This is a 32bit machine.

What do you mean "directly?" downloaded from upstream and installed, or installed from ports?

graudeejs said:
What do you mean "directly?" downloaded from upstream and installed, or installed from ports?

From ports (I always use ports).

I installed eclipse in the past (from ports), don't know what is the right way to do this.

In any case it works, the first choice installs plugins in the user home directory (per user plugins). This time I installed cdt plugin directly, I guess it's the same as the second choice.

Back