Cannot find console within Gnome

Hello,

I am an absolute beginner with FreeBSD. I've installed several Linux distros before. So I wanted to try FreeBSD. I have installed it with ease. Then I wanted to install some GUI (I am used to Gnome which comes by default when installing Ubuntu). All the Gnome's and X11's installation took some time I haven't been used to (comparing with Ubuntu and Centos upgrades). I have edited the rc.conf file and was able to get to Gnome. There was little surprise, as I was not able to find console, which at first looked strange, then frustrating. I have tried with root login, same issue. Can anyone give a hint what should I do.
Thank you.

I was looking under applications, as usually under gnome in Ubuntu env. As I can not reach CLI, I'm not sure if I had installed gnome-terminal. Probably not. How can I reach CLI?

You can switch from Xorg to a virtual terminal using the Ctrl+Alt+Fn combination where n is 1 (for ttyv0) or higher.

If I'm not mistaken, Alt+F2 (within GNOME) should open a "Run Application" dialog box.

Thank you Beastie for your help. However, I have reinstalled system and I must say that I have expected too much from this piece of junk hardware that I'm installing FreeBSD. I have downloaded version 8.2 and tried to install it on AMD Duron 1GHz with 512MB of SDRAM. It is not appropriate for this hardware.

dodole said:
I have downloaded version 8.2 and tried to install it on AMD Duron 1GHz with 512MB of SDRAM. It is not appropriate for this hardware.
I doubt that. I have a P2-350 with far less running FreeBSD 8.2 perfectly.

Don't think this has been answered yet, so here goes. "Terminal" is under Applications -> System Tools in Gnome 2.30 and probably 2.32 as well (don't have 2.32 handy). For a long time it used to be on the desktop right-click menu but that was too obvious and too easy :)

Back