Solved Cannot figure out gateway IP

It might be possible to get the ISP to agree to a better arrangement-- one that doesn't waste 3 otherwise perfectly good ipv4 internet addresses which fred974 is paying for-- but I don't know, since the deal may have already been sealed -- still, it's a very good question and shouldn't hurt to ask.
It depends. If the ISP routes the /29 prefix to you, and you use NAT on your firewall, you can use all eight IP addresses, see my post above.

If I go and get a Draytek Vigor 130 and set PPPoE, what IP will I get?

Disclaimer: I have never used a Vodafone service so I can give no guarantees for what will and won't work. However, if this is a VDSL service (provided in the same way as my UK service) any VDSL modem and PPPoE capable router should work.

The modem (Vigor 130 for example) terminates the VDSL connection and effectively "converts" it to ethernet. On the router you will need to enable PPPoE on the wan interface and provide the username & password given by Vodafone.

At this point you should get the exact same IP information you originally did with the old router. The "router public IP" you mention in your first post.

usdmatt there is no need for a disclaimer :) I do appreciate all the help I can get on this.
I am now thinking on getting a VDSL modem like the Draytek Vigor 130 and tun a short depth R200 as pfSense to be use a router...

In the meantime, I found a more interesting fact.
I setup a FreeBSD VM in virtualbox as rebooting the server is taking far too long for this test.
I have the following:
/etc/rc.conf
Code:
ifconfig_em0="inet 87.7x.xxx.60 netmask 255.255.255.248"
defaultrouter="87.7x.xxx.57"
/etc/resolve.conf
Code:
Ping 8.8.8.8
Code:
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
85 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
Ping google.com
Code:
PING google.com (216.58.204.78): 56 data bytes
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
27 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
I found it interesting that it somehow actually go out resolve the google.com IP address to 216.58.204.78. I DO NOT get ping: cannot resolve google com hostname lookup failure
Also, I can resolve the google IP address if i set the defaultrouter to any of the following: 87.7x.xxx.57, 87.7x.xxx.59,
I cannot resolve google.com when the defaultrouter is set to 87.7x.xxx.58, 87.7x.xxx.61, 87.7x.xxx.62

Another interesting bit is this:
When I type any of the following IP addresses in my browser, I land on my router management interface:

I cannot resolve google.com when using vlan:
Code:
vlans_em0="100"
ifconfig_em0_101="inet 87.7x.xxx.60 netmask 255.255.255.248"
defaultrouter="87.7x.xxx.57"

My router log file show:
Code:
28.02.2019     11:29:14     LAN client computer (08:00:27:4a:fa:a1) connected with IP address 87.7x.xxx.60

I am not educated enough in networking to make much sense of what I just find.. I hope someone with more experience will see something that make sense in it all

Thank you

Can you please provide more details regarding your current internet connection? Did you already have a static IP address from your provider previous to getting the additional block of eight?

Can you please provide more details regarding your current internet connection? Did you already have a static IP address from your provider previous to getting the additional block of eight?
When I signed up for my internet, I asked for static ip. I was with another provider before that.
My router seems to have a static ip address of 87.7x.114.1xx which is a different subnet than the bloc they gave me 87.7x.233.56/29

Vodafone sent me a modem. I plug it to the VDSL part of the phone plug socket and It looks like it somehow pulls all the connection detail from the line as I never entered the username/password.
There is no way to override the username and password either

Do I understand correctly that:

1. This is a new, second modem they've given you?
2. You still have the first modem they gave you?
3. The first modem is already configured and working for your original "router public IP?"

Vull I only have 1 modem. It is the same since day one. I nerver changed or had another modem

This means that the network is being routed successfully to your router. Like I mentioned before you will need to make all configurations there.
What am I looking for? what are the keyword to look for?I cannot see any option to set NAT

Vull I only have 1 modem. It is the same since day one. I nerver changed or had another modem
What am I looking for? what are the keyword to look for?I cannot see any option to set NAT

I am not sure because I don't know your router, but I believe that the extra network should be visible on the interface of your router. You can then perform 1<---->1 NAT on the inside interface.

According to the vodaphone modem link you posted here:
usdmatt

Thank you for your reply. I found it useful.
To set the modem, I follow the vodafone guide here and there is nothing else I can see.
The modem is Huawei 963168_HUAWEIVOX25 according to the status page
... it looks like you should configure your FreeBSD machine for DHCP, ifconfig_em0="DHCP", with the defaultrouter= unspecified. Then, when netif is restarted, you'll be connected to the router, and the router should give your FreeBSD machine a private LAN IP address on the network 192.168.1.0/24. Your default router will be 192.168.1.1, the address of the vodaphone. After that, you should be able to get back to the router/modem configuration page again by entering http://192.168.1.1 in your browser, like the vodaphone guide shows on pages 6-9, and follow the instructions from there, setting expert mode, and so forth.

The router should then do the NAT address translation from the addresses on your 29/ block to any machine on your 192.168.1.0/24 LAN which is connected to the router. The "exposed host" function described on page 4 needs to be turned off for this to work.

Back