Cannot delete older boot environments

I'm mulling a complete reinstall using 13.0-RELEASE
Why 13.0? Why not reinstall with 13.2?

Are there any other good options to consider beside a complete reinstall?
It's going to involve moving lots of files and/or datasets around to 'untangle' the web. Reinstall and restoring a couple of things from backup is probably a lot quicker.

If you have a bootable FreeBSD USB installer, I would be inclined to take advantage of zpool-checkpoint(8) to enable some reasonably risk-free experimentation, as you can always boot off the usb stick and import with --rewind-to-checkpoint. (Be sure to discard the checkpoint once you're happy with everything.)

Under the protection of a zpool checkpoint, I think this will get you back to a ~normal BE configuration:

I believe the sticky wicket you'll encounter is that your zroot/ROOT/default/usr (and /var) were set canmount=on; typically (when placed at the default top of the pool instead of inside zroot/ROOT/*) this is canmount=off, so they can serve as "containers" to hold child /usr(or var)-mounted zfs filesystems, while leaving any non-explicit-filesystem /usr (var) content on your boot environment. In this (standard) configuration, the explicit filesystems (/usr/ports, ...) under them are not part of the boot environment.

The main issue is that you have other directories (/usr/bin, for example) that are actually stored in zroot/ROOT/default/usr, while (again, by default for BEs) those should explicitly be part of (each) zroot/ROOT/<bename>. To fix this, I would boot from the USB stick, import zroot with an altroot: mkdir /tmp/zr; zpool import -NR /tmp/zr zroot; zfs mount zroot/ROOT/13.1-RELEASE; zfs mount -a, and (after a zpool checkpoint of zroot) :

1) Make sure the expected filesystems/directories are all mounted (like they are when you are running) under /tmp/zr.

2) Migrate /usr and /var contents (that aren't explicit zfs-fileystems): For usr and var SUBDIRs, mkdir /tmp/zr/SUBDIR2; rsync -aHvx /tmp/zr/SUBDIR/ /tmp/zr/SUBDIR2/. With -x on the rsync it won't descend into the child filesystems (/usr/obj, /usr/ports), but will copy everything else (/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, ...) into a (now zroot/ROOT/13.1-RELEASE - backed) /usr2 (or /var2). At this point, zfs unmount zroot/ROOT/default/usr/ [...]/var/ and their children, make sure /tmp/zr/usr and /tmp/zr/var are gone, (if they are empty directories now, delete them) and mv /tmp/zr/usr2 /tmp/zr/usr; mv /tmp/zr/var2 /tmp/zr/var

Then:
zfs rename zroot/ROOT/default/usr zroot/usr
zfs rename zroot/ROOT/default/var zroot/var
zfs rename zroot/ROOT/default/tmp zroot/tmp
zfs rename zroot/ROOT/default/root zroot/root

zfs set canmount=no mountpoint=/usr zroot/usr
zfs set canmount=no mountpoint=/var zroot/var
zfs set mountpoint=/tmp zroot/tmp
zfs set mountpoint=/root zroot/root
zfs mount -a

And make sure the system under /tmp/zr looks "normal" (check contents of /tmp/zr/usr and /tmp/zr/var in particular.)

At this point try booting into your reworked system. If it didn't work out like hoped, boot into the USB stick again, and use zpool import -N --rewind-to-checkpoint zroot; zpool export zroot and restart. Don't forget to remove the checkpoint if you don't need it anymore.

And finally, at this point, your boot environments should be "vanilla" -- although on 13.1-RELEASE will be usable (since the others are missing the contents under /usr, /var), but going forward, new ones should be good, and you should be able to get rid of the old ones. Check all that functionality before removing the checkpoint.

Code:
[root@backup 08.May 1:14pm ~]# zpool history | grep create | g zroot
2014-04-25.09:10:17 zpool create -f -o altroot=/mnt -o cachefile=/tmp/zpool.cache -O atime=off -O setuid=off -O canmount=off zroot mirror /dev/gpt/disk0.nop /dev/gpt/disk1.nop
2014-04-25.09:10:18 zfs create -o mountpoint=legacy -o setuid=on zroot/rootfs
2014-04-25.09:10:18 zfs create zroot/root
2014-04-25.09:10:18 zfs create -o canmount=off zroot/usr
2014-04-25.09:10:18 zfs create -o canmount=off -o setuid=off zroot/usr/home
2014-04-25.09:10:18 zfs create -o setuid=on zroot/usr/local
2014-04-25.09:10:18 zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o exec=off -o setuid=off zroot/usr/src
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=lz4 zroot/usr/obj
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o setuid=off zroot/usr/ports
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=off -o exec=off -o setuid=off zroot/usr/ports/distfiles
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o canmount=off zroot/var
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o exec=off -o setuid=off zroot/var/crash
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o exec=off -o setuid=off zroot/var/log
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o exec=off -o setuid=off zroot/var/audit
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o exec=off -o setuid=off zroot/var/mail
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o exec=on -o setuid=off zroot/var/tmp
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create -o compression=lz4 -o setuid=off zroot/tmp
2014-04-25.09:10:19 zfs create zroot/usr/home/doug
2016-06-16.03:01:22 zfs create -o mountpoint=none zroot/ROOT
[root@backup 08.May 1:17pm ~]#

The above were used at the time this system was built 9 years ago.

This is not the history of the zroot pool that are you using at the moment. It's from some other pool and it was not created by zfsboot script.

Your best option is to make a backup of the information then perform a fresh install of 13.2-RELEASE and restore the data.

Note:
The method that Eric A. Borisch propose also work. I can only add to it that you will need to check /etc/fstab and zpool.cache as it will hold the old mountpoints and will not mount the filesystem after rename.

There are two zpools on that system, ZROOT and ZDATA. If I do a fresh install of 13.2-RELEASE, will I be able to import the ZDATA zpool after installing? Admittedly, my understanding of boot environments and zfs isn't as strong as it should be.

If I do a fresh install of 13.2-RELEASE, will I be able to import the ZDATA zpool after installing?
Yes. Export the pool, that'll make it a little easier to import it again. And, if possible, disconnect the disks during the install, that'll reduce the risk of an accidental overwrite.

Back