jails cannot connect to jail using ezjail-admin console

After updating the host to 14.0-RELEASE, I decided to do ezjail-admin update -U -s 12.2-RELEASE to update my jails from 12.2 to 14.0. This command ultimately failed, and I eventually tried many things including eventually doing ezjail-admin install. That command completed successfully, but I can no longer reach the jail using ezjail-admin console nor can I reach the jail using the IP of the jail. Now, it appears as though the jail was successfully updated ( uname -UK confirms this), but I can only get into it using jexec "jail ID" csh command. The jail can successfully reach the internet and pkg update and pkg upgrade are successful.

Question is - how can I fix this so that I can get into the jail using ezjail-admin console? I realize that ezjail is antequated and I should move to something like bastille, but I don't have the luxury of time enough to learn that right this second. I would like to fix this for now if possible.

Solved. I was able to determine that the /etc/pam.d/system was not allowing the jail to connect. To fix, I commented the two lines dealing with opieaccess and then I was able to connect. I'm not sure what caused the issue, but it is resolved.

It's the merging of config files that wasn't correctly done. As a thin nullfs based jail system, ezjail may not upgrade correctly that sort of things. You actually should think to change your jails management software. It's what I'm currently doing.

It's the merging of config files that wasn't correctly done. As a thin nullfs based jail system, ezjail may not upgrade correctly that sort of things. You actually should think to change your jails management software. It's what I'm currently doing.
Yep, I'm going to start researching that. I tried to archive an ezjail jail and then import it into bastille using the bastille import command, but that initially failed, so I went back to fixing this jail instead of working on that. Which jail management are you switching to?

I wrote my own framework because I don't want to be dependent of other's software anymore. It mimics ezjail but succeed in RELEASE upgrade, even major. All is automated with very few interactions.

Back