Can we have a 'basic html' interface to use with text mode browsers?

I started a conversion with OJ about the issue, and it was related to my server was open only on port 443. I opened it on port 80 as well, and now OJ was able to connect with Linux, but not with DOS. The server would answer a HTTP connection attempt with a 301 permanent redirection to the HTTPS site. So, old machines without a suitable TLS infrastructure are still out.

Yes, it seems that the new infatuation with security has broken most things that were prior to that. Times change.

Now you can see how your blog is looking in the green screen :)

Uuaaargh, goop on black. The colour of truth is blue, and that of science black on white, so I prefer my original colour scheme.

Smartphones are able to render standard web pages since the beginning ... and ever since it was suitable to access any kind of normal web site - two finger pinching in and out was simply sufficient for every readability needs. This was until web developers started to ####-up everything with this bloody stupid Responsive Design.
With responsive design, you wouldn't need to pinch/zoom to read your text. But responsive design has nothing to do with how a browser works. It's how a dev uses what the browser gives him.

For fun, add this one line inside the <head>
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1">
and see what happens though your promotion sidebar may ruin the fun.

With responsive design, you wouldn't need to pinch/zoom to read your text. But responsive design has nothing to do with how a browser works. It's how a dev uses what the browser gives him.

Although, I am already 58, I can still read the text of my BLog on my iPhone without glasses and without zooming-in.

For fun, add this one line inside the <head>
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1">
and see what happens though your promotion sidebar may ruin the fun.
I know that this viewport meta attribute ruins the fun of using my site on different devices. Specially on small smartphone screens, it horizontally cuts the text content already in less than the middle. On the other hand, the letters are big enough for being read by the neighbour at the other side of the road. Even initial-scale=0.25 does not work.

Anyway, it is an interesting point of view, that a site’s content may ruin what the Arbitrary Intelligence, added to a browser by the viewport attribute, thinks what could be a suitable way of displaying things. With the advent of Artificial Intelligence coming to ever more devices, perhaps we need to comfort ourselves that the AI never can't be wrong, we only expect the wrong things.

Hahaha, it seems you didn't like the green screen terminal!

Here is an example of how the links browser in graphics mode renders your blog, complete with circuit diagram of beaglebone black boards with analog convertors, network etc... I'm wondering what you are controlling here... an interferometer array perhaps?

This is what I would like to achieve in the FreeBSD console, without X11, to view this forum. The links browser with graphics support is an <<excellent>> piece of software :)

Hahaha, it seems you didn't like the green screen terminal!
You know, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. In addition, I generally maintain a liberal attitude, meaning, as far as I am concerned, everybody may like what is beautiful to him/her. So, for me goop with pink speckles on yellow would be perfectly OK, but only as long as it does not invade my screen.

Here is an example of how the links browser in graphics mode renders your blog, complete with circuit diagram of beaglebone black boards with analog convertors, network etc...

I hope, you won’t be angry when I continue to use Safari on Mac and Epiphany on FreeBSD, would you?

I'm wondering what you are controlling here... an interferometer array perhaps?
In this case these are electrochmical measurement devices, so-called potentiostats, which may be used for online corrosion monitoring. However, it could well be other sensors and measurement equipment, e.g. interferometers. I would only need to add a respective plugin to the FCGI daemon on the BBB, which is based on my ContentCGI daemon - see: https://github.com/cyclaero/ContentCGI.

With respect to the corrosion measurement/monitoring application I got a poster on my BLog as well, see: https://obsigna.com/articles/1538419110.html . It is in Portugues, though. (I am a German living in Brazil).

Hmm.. Of course, everyone is free to use whatever tool they like, I will never be angry hahaha :) Your project is interesting... use the onboard adc and dac convertors on beagle board, no external hardware required, or may just some signal conditioning/filtering, instrumentation amp from transducer. I am always interested in hardware and analog interfacing... I also have worked in this area. But I won't ask any more details, because we are too far off topic already ;)

Today I did a little more investigation... on linux (my slackware O:‑)). I discovered i can run two browsers in full graphics mode in linux framebuffer console, without X. One browser is links -g, and the other is netsurf-fb. When configure netsurf, must set target to framebuffer, and he works great. Neither of these browsers have javascript, but it's still good to get graphics in console without X.
So, after that, I try to do the same on my FreeBSD 12.0 machine. But the standard links browser package only provides X driver, without svgalib.
$ links -driver list
X
Can anyone tell me how to configure the links port to include the svgalib support? I can see there is an svgalib package in the ports tree. Maybe I can get it to work...
And I tried the netsurf package, but the default build is netsurf with gtk interface for X, not for framebuffer. So, I have the same question for netsurf; can someone tell me how to configure netsurf port for the framebuffer target?

Oh well, I played around with console graphics a bit more, it doesn't work. Basically its not supported out of the box, so I'm not going to spend any more time on that.
As for the original question I asked in this thread about whether we can have an html only mode, it is clear from the lack of response from the guys running the forum that that's not going to happen, so I won't pursue it any further.

Back