Can one use mail with gnupg/encryption

Hello,

I had posted a couple of months ago Thread 51715 about getting syslog to mail me logs, outside of the local computer. I would like to be able to encrypt those emails. Using mail so far seems good and I want to know if I can use GNUPG with it. If so how?

I have discovered that I need to have sendmail enabled as well as smtpd for services, or in rc.conf, to get the mail to go through.

Thanks,

a5'

- I have modified the goal to just get the weekly run cron job sent to the email address if this is relevant. Also uname -a yields;
Code:
FreeBSD  my.website.com 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r284814: Thu Jun 25
23:00:47
UTC 2015     root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI-B arm

You could encrypt the logs and attach them to the message. Have a look at gpg's --batch option.

jrm, thanks for the reply.

So maybe I could go back to using syslog and issue the command in that file to encrypt the logs, but I think that I could pipe it to mail maybe and actually encrypt the mail as well.

Thanks, just thinking out loud,

a5'

Hi,

Found that, when using crontab,/etc/crontab, that I need to set the MAILTO variable. I am hoping that I can set this to a foreign (Not on local machine or network) email address due to sendmail and SMTP being enabled. I am quite happy with the information that the simple periodic output initiated by cron. Because of this I would like to avoid using /etc/syslog.conf directly. Although I think I will just have to provide the command to cron in /etc/crontab to encrypt... need to review that.

Thanks,

a5'

You can have mail for local users sent to foreign addresses with lines like the one below in /etc/mail/aliases:
Code:
localuser: me@myotherdomain.org

Then run cap_mkdb /etc/mail/aliases

Thank You, I was wondering about that. I think that I would like to try something like below, taken from crontab5();
Code:
# run five minutes after midnight, every day
5 0 * * * $HOME/bin/daily.job | gpg -batch -e | mail me@alternative.com

Although I fear that makes it likely something will go wrong because I really don't understand it that well.

- a5'

Use an explicit recipient on the gpg(1) command line (-r recipient) unless you have a default recipient set in preferences for the user. Also use the ascii armor format for transport, without the -a you'll get binary output that doesn't transfer well via email. Lastly, use a full path to the gpg binary, PATH is very limited when you run commands from cron(8).

/usr/local/bin/gpg -batch -e -a -r me@alternative.com

Use an explicit recipient on the gpg(1) command line (-r recipient) unless you have a default recipient set in preferences for the user. Also use the ascii armor format for transport, without the -a you'll get binary output that doesn't transfer well via email. Lastly, use a full path to the gpg binary, PATH is very limited when you run commands from cron(8).

That's very helpful, I will to check out these two leads when I get a chance.

Thanks,
a5'

I just saw this on the gpg page:
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi...ormat=html&sektion=1#HOW_TO_SPECIFY_A_USER_ID
By exact match on an email address.
This is indicated by enclosing the email address in the usual
way with left and right angles.

<heinrichh@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Is this important to mail with gpg? What I was trying to find is if gpg uses mail or some other facility to send mail. This seems to clarify the issue; So,

becomes

/usr/local/bin/gpg -batch -e -a -r <me@alternative.com>

Thanks,

a5'

Last edited:
Back