Can i run ventoy in FreeBSD?

I installed Ventoy on a usb using Slackware and put a FreeBaSeD iso on it. The installation worked like a charm. But I can't open the Ventoy folders on FreeBSD, it recognized the thumb-drive but doesn't mount the partition one would use to put the isos.
Ps.: I didn't try to mounting using file systems beside the ones that come by default ( as of ntfs per example).

You need autofs.
Open /media folder then open the for example da0p1. Now u you can put ISOs in it. I hope I could explain it well. BobSlacker
I'm sorry for using one letter for you. I will change my behavior and i will not use u.

Attachments

• guideforbob1.png
    guideforbob1.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 107
  • guideforbob2.png
    guideforbob2.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 111
  • guideforbob3.png
    guideforbob3.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 110
Hm, looking at their build instructions, I start to get a feeling why nobody created a port yet 🙈
I have just had a look, but it is difficult knowing where to start.

This looked like a likely candidate

but I suspect a lot of stuff is redudant for a FreeBSD user.

I'd give it a start if I knew what to replace this with...

Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gcc-linaro-7.4.1-2019.02-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu/bin:/opt/aarch64--uclibc--stable-2020.08-1/bin:/opt/mips-loongson-gcc7.3-linux-gnu/2019.06-29/bin/:/opt/mips64el-linux-musl-gcc730/bin/

I thought I'd give it a go, just to see what happened ... I might learn something...

Code:
root@X1:/var/tmp/Ventoy/INSTALL# sh -x all_in_one.sh
+ VTOY_PATH=/var/tmp/Ventoy/INSTALL/..
+ LOG=/var/tmp/Ventoy/INSTALL/../DOC/build.log
+ [ -f /var/tmp/Ventoy/INSTALL/../DOC/build.log ]
+ cd /var/tmp/Ventoy/INSTALL/../DOC
+ cilog 'prepare_env ...'
+ date '+%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S'
+ datestr='2023/11/24 21:34:42'
+ echo '2023/11/24 21:34:42 prepare_env ...'
2023/11/24 21:34:42 prepare_env ...
+ sh prepare_env.sh
tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '/opt/gcc-linaro-7.4.1-2019.02-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu.tar.xz'
tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '/opt/aarch64--uclibc--stable-2020.08-1.tar.bz2'
tar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '/opt/mips-loongson-gcc7.3-2019.06-29-linux-gnu.tar.gz'
+ export 'PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/bin:/opt/gcc-linaro-7.4.1-2019.02-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu/bin:/opt/aarch64--uclibc--stable-2020.08-1/bin:/opt/mips-loongson-gcc7.3-linux-gnu/2019.06-29/bin/:/opt/mips64el-linux-musl-gcc730/bin/'
+ cilog 'build grub2 ...'
+ date '+%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S'
+ datestr='2023/11/24 21:34:42'
+ echo '2023/11/24 21:34:42 build grub2 ...'
2023/11/24 21:34:42 build grub2 ...
+ cd /var/tmp/Ventoy/INSTALL/../GRUB2
+ sh buildgrub.sh
+ exit 1

Not sure if I did learn anything...

I installed Ventoy on a usb using Slackware and put a FreeBaSeD iso on it. The installation worked like a charm.

It works up to FreeBSD 13,; I've used it with 12.3. It can't yet work with 14.0 without a new version of its GEOM module for FreeBSD installs, says a discussion in freebsd-stable@

[ EDIT, CORRECTION:
That discussion was in freebsd-current@, namely

https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2023-October/004887.html

and following replies. This is about as definitive as it gets, from highly knowledgeable people. ]

But I can't open the Ventoy folders on FreeBSD, it recognized the thumb-drive but doesn't mount the partition one would use to put the isos.

gpart show -p da0 shows da0p1 (da0s1 if MBR) as type 7, shared by NTFS and exFAT. By default Ventoy uses exFAT but you can change that on installation.

The Ventoy docs are excellent, but very voluminous. Worth the time spent.

Installing the exfat fuse tools is easy, search pkgs for exfat.

Ps.: I didn't try to mounting using file systems beside the ones that come by default ( as of ntfs per example).

exFAT unless you changed it.

Hm, looking at their build instructions, I start to get a feeling why nobody created a port yet 🙈

I doubt anyone is going to port the actual Ventoy runtime from its total investment in Linux kernel and (GPL3+) userland, mostly busybox plus custom executables, integrated grub and so forth.

Huge job, and why bother when the author has dedicated so much time getting it working with so many different types of ISO and other installation media for so many systems?

Possibly someone could port the installer to FreeBSD, like the Windows installer maybe, so people wouldn't need to have or find Linux or Windows boxes to make and setup the USB stick; a big enough job.

Possibly someone could port the installer to FreeBSD, like the Windows installer maybe, so people wouldn't need to have or find Linux or Windows boxes to make and setup the USB stick; a big enough job.
I'm trying to create a Ventoy installer.... See:-

Thread 90697/#post-630198

I'm sure I'm quite close to getting it working.

That supposed to be a direct link to post #22... not sure why it doesn't take you directly to it...

It works up to FreeBSD 13,; I've used it with 12.3. It can't yet work with 14.0 without a new version of its GEOM module for FreeBSD installs, says a discussion in freebsd-stable@

I came across this but am not sure how to incorporate it into a 14.0-RELEASE ISO, if that is what needs to be done.

[ EDIT, CORRECTION:
That discussion was in freebsd-current@, namely

and following replies. This is about as definitive as it gets, from highly knowledgeable people. ]

I came across this but am not sure how to incorporate it into a 14.0-RELEASE ISO, if that is what needs to be done.

Please re-read that discussion. It's not a matter of anything you can do, but requires Ventoy reworking the way it handles loading of FreeBSD ISO or memstick images, due to changes in the 14 interfacing, as I (dimly) understand it.

I downloaded that module, that supposedly caters for 14.x but reportedly fails to do so yet, and just ran
strings geom_ventoy.ko | less
for a general scout around.

Interesting, and it seems longpanda has a better grip on FreeBSD than I would have expected, but then Ventoy is a pretty impressive project.

I've skimmed over some of your code in the other thread, probably best to try keeping that in one place if possible.

… in freebsd-current@, namely

and following replies. …

Re: Ventoy support mentioned a move to -hackers.

I'll write to the reporter, make him aware of discussions. Postscript: done, <https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions/2023-November/004429.html>.

Last edited:
Back