Solved Can I change my IP address?

I believe I'm being scammed. A suspect Apple customer service rep sent me a notice that my itunes account was being charged $$$$ for 12 TB of Cloud storage and that it was from Belgium where my IP address was compromised. Then went on to say that other countries such as Mexico, Canada, etc... had my IP address and email address and were trying to use my credit card to pay of such things. I have a strong believe that the whole thing is a scham!! Anyone else had the same type of experience in the past or today?

Exactly. It’s a phishing or smishing attempt, depending on the method of communication. Using the normal means of checking your account, verify if this is true. If not, ignore the message. These attacks prey on human gullibility.

look at full headers
see where the mail really comes from
also check if the To: field has your name and email and/or not some undisclosed recipients and bollocks

Code:
Return-Path: <no_reply@email.apple.com>
Received: from mdn-txn-msbadger0805.apple.com (mdn-txn-msbadger0805.apple.com [17.171.37.85])
    by mail.mydomain.ro (8.16.1/8.16.1) with ESMTPS id 19I6Sq0O038979
    (version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 bits=256 verify=NOT)
    for <me@mydomain.ro>; Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:28:53 +0300 (EEST)
    (envelope-from no_reply@email.apple.com)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=email.apple.com;
    s=email0517; t=1634538527;
    bh=QfDKRF5DnAqpa1E73G09PnGM8Xo1AavMQXulhiWYmMo=;
    h=Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:Content-Type;
    b=prMl77g6SazUk22upaj3QLosicZ2BPajlEtD6DGfjfjCmo2WycOfeKjv5xS7GFhUV
     5WQ2ldoj1Rn3mScdrDW0gkenP0XLCV3zs/4HGA2Swx/zAtHO+u63o1dD+2k7nfH65h
     aBXVW/JAAk1DTyFzmS001eP6oTaGu6uvb3oE2dICxVN4hBZ13c3By+ZxAhu+vk/pDl
     4HLCx8ZupuwqBMW25Uu12fFk+9JbTY9zYhxKNMX37nkORbMrlx5H+7pI/LfcqimrBz
     HXrn1FsMFckhadXfTNw6vuJafz2zu6yeOhww04hs24FM1/iiWv5bfJz+yQbp9ObWnW
     OH9DZ1sxyt4NA==
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:28:47 +0000 (GMT)
To: me@mydomain.ro

Yep. Look at the message source, pay attention to the contents of the headers.
And:
DON'T CLICK ON ANY LINKS!!!

There has been stuff going around lately, I have my wife understanding enough that anything remotely odd, I get forwarded to me and "can you take a look at this? It seems off".

OP: need to see headers for the message. There should be a Sender/From at some point.

If you mean clipboard history? I have a clipboard icon in my latest KDE install, lower right taskbar. I have no clipboard history in MATE that I know of.

If you mean copy and paste something you can see on the screen, most any desktop environment should allow you to copy and paste with the mouse, from a terminal window, or from most other application windows.

A suspect Apple customer service rep sent me a notice that my itunes account was being charged $$$$ for 12 TB of Cloud storage and that it was from Belgium where my IP address was compromised. Then went on to say that other countries such as Mexico, Canada, etc... had my IP address and email address and were trying to use my credit card to pay of such things.
One of the many scams. Mark it as spam and delete it.

Anyone else had the same type of experience in the past or today?
How many do you want? I get tons of these things.

I believe I'm being scammed. A suspect Apple customer service rep sent me a notice that my itunes account was being charged $$$$ for 12 TB of Cloud storage and that it was from Belgium where my IP address was compromised. Then went on to say that other countries such as Mexico, Canada, etc... had my IP address and email address and were trying to use my credit card to pay of such things. I have a strong believe that the whole thing is a scham!! Anyone else had the same type of experience in the past or today?
Unless something unsolicited addresses me by my first & last name, I delete it. TOTALLY.
I also never allow html in mail, whIch is why I'm still using pine/alpine. :) (And this means most mail these days is unreadable for me - a win/win)

Back to part of your topic, changing ip address. This depends on your ISP and whether you are assigned a static or dynamic one. The former you can contact your ISP and ask them for a new one (if they're a nice and knowing ISP; rare) or with dynamic you probably need to turn off your router for a while to get it to cycle through for another ip number. My old ISP used to always re-assign my old one unless I left the router off for about 1 hour. YMMV.

The thing about the IP address? Yeah, that is almost certainly just a scare tactic. Don't worry about it.

Firstly, your IP address alone has limited use. Secondly, most IPs give you a dynamic IP address, i.e. your IP address changes regularly.

They are just praying on your lack of understanding of the underlying technical mechanisms. Anyone who does have a deeper technical understanding, especially surrounding what an IP address is actually useful for, will look at this email you've been sent and just roll theirs eyes.

The thing about the IP address? Yeah, that is almost certainly just a scare tactic. Don't worry about it.

Firstly, your IP address alone has limited use. Secondly, most IPs give you a dynamic IP address, i.e. your IP address changes regularly.

They are just praying on your lack of understanding of the underlying technical mechanisms. Anyone who does have a deeper technical understanding, especially surrounding what an IP address is actually useful for, will look at this email you've been sent and just roll theirs eyes.
Thanks to all of your responses! After my open heart surgery, I've not had the same cognitive awareness; thus, I'm going to have my IT aware grandson start helping me with such matters. Sorry for my dimming of awareness.

Very welcome. As a pen tester (white hat hacker), I am all too familiar with these type of scams. Humans are easier to hack than machines so social engineering, as this is called, is still alive and well. Scammers get more and more creative as time goes by. If only they would put their smarts to something good…

Thanks to all of your responses! After my open heart surgery, I've not had the same cognitive awareness; thus, I'm going to have my IT aware grandson start helping me with such matters. Sorry for my dimming of awareness.

I am curious, how did you come about our forums?

I was introduced to BSD when it was the 4.9 release. Then in 2012 I found this forum and simply read many posts until one day I needed to learn how to post and gain some knowledge as to different issues that I had been dealing with. I'm not a very accomplished FreeBSD user, but I've been using it as a desktop since the 4.9 release. Yes, I've had some issues with that aspect of FreeBSD, but I hope I will never ever have to return the the famous "WindBlows" stuff. OH! buy the way Sir Dice has been one great BSDer! He has guided me many times in the right direction!

Back