Caja,nemo,pcmanfm don't see the files if the partition is mounted with "lklfuse -o type=ext4" as root

What desktop environment (DE) are you running? My DE is Mate.

Have you started your DE using the root account or using a lower level account?

My file manager is Caja. In this screenshot below, you can see that Caja has a "Preferences" setting to show hidden files, and I've ticked that setting. This allows me to see the lost+found file in an ext4 partition. If I don't tick that setting, I can't see lost+found because it's a hidden file. See if you can find a similar setting in your file manager.

In your screenshot, see the little up-arrow icons to the right of all those partitions? That up-arrow suggests you have clicked on them. This causes those partitions to be mounted under the /media directory. Then perhaps you're trying to remount them from the command line. This can create conflicts. Try rebooting and repeat your tests without clicking on those partitions to avoid such conflicts.

View attachment 10937
Edited to add: Please read the ls(1) manual page.

What desktop environment (DE) are you running? ---> XFCE4.

Have you started your DE using the root account or using a lower level account? ---> root.

My file manager is Caja. In this screenshot below, you can see that Caja has a "Preferences" setting to show hidden files. ---> This is not the explanation for this bug. I don't see any file,not only the hidden files.

In your screenshot, see the little up-arrow icons to the right of all those partitions? That up-arrow suggests you have clicked on them. This causes those partitions to be mounted under the /media directory. Then perhaps you're trying to remount them from the command line ---> maybe I've clicked on those partitions,but then I've got the error below :

Istantanea_2021-08-09_00-16-25.png

so,it didn't mount the disks. Anyway I tried to mount those partitions even without clicking on the little up-arrow icon to the right of them.

I'm using root to do everything. Please don't suggest me to don't use root because security risks. I know that.
Sorry but this is a public forum where other people are searching for information. It's just stupid to start X as root and we want to prevent others to do the same mistake if they are reading this thread. It's not about you, it's about harm reduction.

I use the root account because I can,I'm learning FreeBSD and for me it's easier at the moment. For sure I will stop using when I will have taken more confidence with the os.
If you REALLY want to learn FreeBSD, stop logging in as root. None of the professionals does this. In addition, there are things which just don't work out of the box using root :
I read through those logs on Github as well as in your previous posts; you're trying to connect as root. I believe this will not work, unless you updated your /usr/local/etc/xrdp/sesman.ini beforehand (see AllowRootLogin value).

The important informations are safe,don't worry.
😅

What about this ? Is this a bug ? I've logged in FreeBSD as a normal user,I've mounted the ext4 partition in the fstab file with this line :

/dev/ada0s1 /mnt/ada0s1 fuse ro,failok,late,mountprog=/usr/local/bin/lklfuse,type=ext4,allow_other 0 0

(I haven't got any error during the boot,in relation with the mounting of the ada0s1 disk. Infact as u can see,I can see the content of the disk ada0s1,but only using the terminal. If I use thunar,it comes back the same situation I found when I tried to see the content of the disk using thunar but as root. Now I'm sure that there is a bug to fix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210810_180454.png
    Screenshot_20210810_180454.png
    173 KB · Views: 122
I'm now running xfce4 on 13.0-RELEASE-p3.

If I mount an ext4 partition using mount -t ext2fs I can view the files using thunar.

If I mount the same partition using lklfuse -o type=ext4 I get the following message:
Screenshot_2021-08-10_17-47-23.png

Conclusion: This is not a bug in FreeBSD or in thunar. Perhaps this is a feature of lklfuse or perhaps it is indeed some sort of a bug in fusefs, which seems doubtful. I don't use lklfuse so it doesn't really affect me either way.

This is what OP probably would have seen if he had not started X using the root account.

Today I've started X as normal user and I've changed the line that mount the linux disk in this way :

/dev/ada0s1 /mnt/ada0s1 fuse ro,failok,late,uid=1001,gid=1001,mountprog=/usr/local/bin/lklfuse,type=ext4,allow_other 0 0

because I wanted that it reflected the permissions of the low level user (marietto). Again,I don't see the content of the disk using any file manager (and I repeat : I'm not using the root account). My id is :

marietto@marietto:/mnt/ada0s1 $ id

uid=1001(marietto) gid=1001(marietto) groups=1001(marietto),0(wheel),44(video)

list of the permissions / ownerships with ls -al :

marietto@marietto:/mnt/ada0s1 $ ls -al

total 1216
drwxr-xr-x 27 marietto marietto 4096 7 ago 01:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 512 28 lug 18:17 ..
-rw------- 1 marietto marietto 39 7 mag 19:10 .bash_history
drwxrwxr-x 2 marietto marietto 4096 1 mar 19:19 .cache
-rw-r--r-- 1 marietto marietto 1024 4 mag 23:46 .hs_err_pid59.log.swp
drwxrwxrwx 4 marietto marietto 4096 31 ago 2020 .Trash-0
drwx------ 5 marietto marietto 4096 1 mar 19:54 .Trash-1000
lrwxrwxrwx 1 marietto marietto 7 1 mar 14:34 bin -> usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x 4 marietto marietto 4096 22 lug 00:17 boot
drwxr-xr-x 2 marietto marietto 4096 1 mar 14:07 cdrom
-rw------- 1 marietto marietto 9756672 7 ago 01:19 core
drwxr-xr-x 4 marietto marietto 4096 22 ott 2020 dev
drwxr-xr-x 194 marietto marietto 12288 7 ago 01:19 etc
drwxr-xr-x 3 marietto marietto 4096 9 giu 13:47 home
-rw-r--r-- 1 marietto marietto 690 4 mag 23:45 hs_err_pid59.log
lrwxrwxrwx 1 marietto marietto 7 1 mar 14:34 lib -> usr/lib
lrwxrwxrwx 1 marietto marietto 9 1 mar 14:34 lib32 -> usr/lib32
lrwxrwxrwx 1 marietto marietto 9 1 mar 14:34 lib64 -> usr/lib64
lrwxrwxrwx 1 marietto marietto 10 1 mar 14:34 libx32 -> usr/libx32
drwxrwxrwx 3 marietto marietto 16384 3 ago 2020 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 5 marietto marietto 4096 27 mar 08:33 media
drwxr-xr-x 13 marietto marietto 4096 28 lug 20:13 mnt
drwxr-xr-x 4 marietto marietto 4096 29 lug 20:15 nix
-rw------- 1 marietto marietto 202 7 mag 17:36 nohup.out
drwxr-xr-x 14 marietto marietto 4096 22 lug 21:37 opt
drwxr-xr-x 3 marietto marietto 4096 10 mar 18:01 path
drwxr-xr-x 2 marietto marietto 4096 16 ott 2020 proc
drwxrwxrwx 41 marietto marietto 4096 7 ago 01:20 root
drwxr-xr-x 12 marietto marietto 4096 1 mar 14:35 run
lrwxrwxrwx 1 marietto marietto 8 1 mar 14:34 sbin -> usr/sbin
drwxr-xr-x 18 marietto marietto 4096 9 lug 22:32 snap
drwxr-xr-x 3 marietto marietto 4096 2 mag 21:01 source
drwxr-xr-x 2 marietto marietto 4096 31 mag 22:11 srv
drwxr-xr-x 2 marietto marietto 4096 16 ott 2020 sys
drwxr-xr-x 2 marietto marietto 4096 23 mar 22:42 timeshift
drwxrwxrwt 11 marietto marietto 69632 7 ago 01:25 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 18 marietto marietto 4096 19 lug 12:45 usr
drwxr-xr-x 18 marietto marietto 4096 19 lug 12:45 var

Please try:
umount /mnt/ada0s1
mount -t ext2fs -o ro /dev/ada0s1 /mnt/ada0s1

You should then be able to view your files using thunar.

Note: Nothing new needs to be installed. Unlike /usr/local/bin/lklfuse, /boot/kernel/ext2fs.ko is part of the base system.
ext2fs(5)

root@marietto:/mnt # umount /mnt/ada0s1
umount: unmount of /mnt/ada0s1 failed: Device busy

I should reboot and comment all the lklfuse lines to do that. I see that u have used ext2fs instead of lklfuse. I've added this line in the fstab file :

/dev/ada0s1 /mnt/ada0s1 ext2fs ro 0 0

ok. with ext2fs it works. I can view the content of the disks using thunar. Unfortunately it does not support rw.

You were mounting read-only with lklfuse. Please re-read reply #24 in this thread again.

For /etc/fstab I suggest: /dev/ada0s1 /mnt/ada0s1 ext2fs ro,failok 0 2

Without "failok" your system might fail to boot if any of these foreign filesystems get unmounted uncleanly.

LOL, these symptoms usually mean that the filesystem was never mounted. FreeBSD's automounter sometimes tacks something onto the folder name. If you mount the drive by hand, like this: (assuming that lklfuse.ko is kldload-ed):
Code:
# mount ext2fs_mount /dev/da0s1 /mnt/zip
% ls -l /mnt/zip
# umount /mnt/zip

If you let FreeBSD's automounter handle things, you'll end up having your files in different /media/seagate9t0-43nh5043nh9043nhgv0 folder or something like that every time. Then Thunar won't be able to see anything in /mnt/zip/ folder.

Oh, and when unmounting, always make sure Thunar (or other programs) are not trying to access the device. Sometimes, I have to close VLC (because it was playing movies stored on the mounted media) first, and only after that, unmounting becomes possible.

ziomario hi

… pcmanfm is the file manager I want. …

Is PCManFM-Qt x11-fm/pcmanfm-qt (the Qt port of PCManFM) of equal interest to you?

I see the developer/maintainer of sysutils/bsdisks recently using PCManFM-Qt in relation to another bug (not the one that you reported). It's feasible that this will lead, indirectly, to improvements relating to e.g. devices and volumes as they appear in the the sidebar of the application.

Thanks. But I've changed method. Now if I want to transfer files from and to a EXT4 and NTFS partition I don't mount the partition using the driver ported for FreeBSD,but I use a bhyve VM with its native driver. I've seen too many damaged sectors.

Thank you,

… damaged sectors.

– damage with EXT4, with NTFS, or with both types of file system?

I have no meaningful experience with sysutils/fusefs-ext2, and no recent experience with sysutils/fusefs-ntfs, however I'm fairly certain that the solution for NTFS should be reliable enough – if the file system gets the care and attention that's required.

I do like, but don't entirely agree with this:

Note that "foreign" file systems (like NTFS or ext2/3/4 on FreeBSD, or UFS on Linux) are never production quality, and have high risk of data corruption, in particular if you use them to write to the foreign file systems. I would only mount them read-only on FreeBSD. You also have to be very careful to make sure all caches are flushed: … Always make sure the other operating system is fully shut down (or the file system unmounted, which is not possible for the root filesystem) before switching OSes.

Now:

… I use a bhyve VM with its native driver. …

FYI:

When Windows says:

You don't need to scan this drive
We haven't found any errors on this drive. …

– do not believe that the file system is truly free from errors.

– and so on; there's more of interest in that topic.

I'm slightly out of my depth, but I do wonder whether deficiencies on the Microsoft side can increase the likelihood of encountering some of the more recently reported bugs on the FreeBSD side.

Postscript: from <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/543765> I guess that you do not dual boot, but for the record:

Windows Fast Startup dangerous for dual boot systems | The FreeBSD Forums

Historical, from around the time when I occasionally used NTFS with Mac OS X: Experiences : Paragon NTFS vs MacFuse and ntfs-3g? - Ars Technica OpenForum. I don't recall any gripes with the software, although it did (I think) become absurdly difficult, for a while, to find the open source alternative to the commercial solution. NTFS-3G for Mac OS X: NTFS-3G for Mac OS X 2010.10.2 became the go-to page.

Back