Bying new Desktop PC for the living room.

Pics? me too! :)
DIY, used parts. The case is in use since the nineties, fits into the deskside cabinet. Luck or design, it is less than 1/2 mm between cpu-cooler and disk-bay assembly:
cpu2.jpeg

And I ask the analogue questions:

Buying new Desktop PC for the bathroom.​

Yep, a 32-inch monitor mounted on the door, you sit on the throne while watching youtube... the box with the $3k RTX 3090 and a $5k Threadripper can be mounted on the ceiling, just get the DP cables down to the monitor... 🤣

If you would buy today a new PC for your livingroom.
[I would at least have the requirement for at least two network connections ...]

Mini-itx Gigabyte Z77 with wifi and dual Gb ethernet - $129
Antec Mini Skeleton-90 case with power supply - $119
Intel i5-3475s cpu - $40
16 GB of ddr3 1600Mhz 9x9x9 - $68

because
* I have a mini skeleton case in my living room. Open, no dust accumulation, very compact, single 140mm150mm fan facing down onto the motherboard (almost silent), have 2 ssd and 2 HD in mine.
* I have Gigabyte Z77 boards (both ITX and micro-ITX) and everything works well with FreeBSD
* I like the Intel integrated graphics on the Intel cpus, it is well-supported, comes with the cpu (!$), and works good-enough.
* I love that i5-3475s for great combo of speed with low-power / low-temperatures
There are cons...

BTW, the included 90-watt ps is probably not adequate :( I remove it and replace with 160 watt picoPSU -- plugs into the 20-pin atx power adapter. The whole power supply is in the plug! (need a 12V DC input from a wall wart). Who needs more than 160 watts??

You'd also need a molex to sata adapter -- total system cost ~$425.

Back