Solved Buy a new laptop

Hi.
I'm looking at a new laptop, given the problems that I'm having in my old laptop lately.
I am undecided between these two:
I have been advised Lenovo, because it has a better performance, both FreeBSD and GNU/Linux. In contrast with MSI, I could not find any information.

The difference between them is about € 100. My question is what I would have to stay with.

Thank you if you can give me your opinion.

Not sure about the technical aspects, but know for sure that if you buy Lenovo directly from them, they can give you $100 discount if you request to not install Windows.
I've selected and customized one, added it to cart. Then initiated chat with a rep, told him, that I do not need Windows, and I'm purchasing the hardware, not software, it's unfair to include software cost in the price. They guy agreed and gave me $100 discount right away.

Generally, the issues will be with the wireless and video. FreeBSD has poor support for the newer Intel cards, though it's getting better, and will work with FreeBSD-CURRENT and drm next.

The touch screen may or may not cause issues. I covered what I ran into on a page I put up about the yoga2, http://srobb.net/yoga2.html

I don't know about MSI, and the newest Lenovo I have is that yoga2, but it does work satisfactorily for me with CURRENT. Of course, you aren't supposed to ask questions about CURRENT here, but there are other places to ask if you run into issues.

Not sure about the technical aspects, but know for sure that if you buy Lenovo directly from them, they can give you $100 discount if you request to not install Windows.
I've selected and customized one, added it to cart. Then initiated chat with a rep, told him, that I do not need Windows, and I'm purchasing the hardware, not software, it's unfair to include software cost in the price. They guy agreed and gave me $100 discount right away.
Thanks a lot.

But in Spain is not possible make the same because the Y700 - 17ISK is not in the web of Lenovo...

I think to buy the lenovo...

Thanks a lot

Hello
In the end I bought the Lenovo Ideapad Y700 with FreeDos.
I have done a test with a lubuntu and everything works wonders (wifi, ethernet, etc ...) and from the BIOS, I have option to select which graphic I want to use, whether the internal (Intel) or both (Intel + Nvidia) and I'm delighted with this possibility. All laptops make all the marks the same :rolleyes:

Now is when the good comes, I will install (try) to perform the installation of FreeBSD 11.0 on the laptop.

In the bios, I have put the Legacy Support / Legacy First option. Right?
Also, I have a partition of 1Gb with the FreeDos, only has the FreeDos, could be erased and use the entire HDD.

One thing, would you use Uefi firts to be able to use GPT (maybe I'm confusing) or MBR ??

Thanks for all your help ...

While messing with Lubuntu I would get all the details about your wireless card.
The model should help to determine if supported. Post or look it up.

Legacy Support / Legacy First option. Right?
This should not be needed. UEFI is supported well on FreeBSD11. I would plan on doing a couple of installs until you have it worked out.
Something this new you have to wang on it pretty hard to get a legacy install with MBR. You want UEFI with GPT and it should default to that. Just hit enter is my install philosophy. Who needs FreeDOS partition. Consider it a virtual coupon.

Thanks a lot... :beer::beer:

I try to install with uefi and GPT.

And delete the partition of FreeDOS.

Again, thanks for everything.

And delete the partition of FreeDOS.
No need, just hit enter and FreeBSD will take the whole disk.

If you have an SSD you might want to consider axing the Swap drive at setup. I like to do Disk Install Auto and then at the end edit and delete swap and ufs-freebsd to expand to full disk size then recreate ufs-freebsd slice with / mount. Just my way. I am sure there are others. Some might say don't delete swap. Seems a personal choice. I see no ill effects that I know of with 4+GB ram.
I don't want swap trashing my ssd with unneeded writes.

Back