Building a version of FreeBSD which is different to that running on the host

Should I expect to be able to build say, FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE from its src by running make buildworld on FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE or do I need to create an 11.2 jail for the purpose?

I hadn't thought of using a jail previously...

TARGET and TARGET_ARCH are more for building a i386 version on AMD64 for example. Or ARM on AMD64. That sort of thing.

Building world is fairly self-contained. So it's perfectly fine to build any version on any other version. Most of the time. I wouldn't try to build a 12.0-RELEASE on 6.3-RELEASE for example but building a 11.2-RELEASE on a 12.0-RELEASE machine shouldn't be a problem. I've done this myself countless times.

TARGET and TARGET_ARCH are more for building a i386 version on AMD64 for example. Or ARM on AMD64. That sort of thing.

Building world is fairly self-contained. So it's perfectly fine to build any version on any other version. Most of the time. I wouldn't try to build a 12.0-RELEASE on 6.3-RELEASE for example but building a 11.2-RELEASE on a 12.0-RELEASE machine shouldn't be a problem. I've done this myself countless times.

I've been trying to build various releases under 12.0 but had a problem with 11.0 when I hit this error:-
Code:
--- all_subdir_usr.bin ---
cc  -O -pipe   -D__REGEX_PRIVATE -I/usr/src/usr.bin/vi -I/usr/src/usr.bin/vi/../../contrib/nvi -I/usr/src/usr.bin/vi/../../contrib/nvi/regex -DUSE_WIDECHAR -DUSE_ICONV -
--- all_subdir_usr.sbin ---
RPCGEN_CPP=cpp\  rpcgen -c -C -DWANT_NFS3 /usr/obj/arm.arm/usr/src/tmp/usr/include/rpcsvc/nfs_prot.x -o nfs_prot_x.c
--- all_subdir_usr.bin/xlint ---
===> usr.bin/xlint/llib (all)
--- all_subdir_lib ---
--- Kyuafile ---
--- llib-lposix.ln ---
lint -cghapbx -Cposix /usr/src/usr.bin/xlint/llib/llib-lposix
sh: lint: not found
*** [llib-lposix.ln] Error code 127

then it struck me that 12.0 may not include various programs required for the build. ie lint, so now I'm looking at creating an 11.0 jail in which to build 11.0.

Does that make sense?

then it struck me that 12.0 may not include various programs required for the build. ie lint
I stumbled over this mailing list post concerning lint. You might give it a try before continuing setting up a jail:

more fallout from removal of lint

Since lint was removed from 12.0-CURRENT, it is not possible to build
11.1-STABLE on a 12.0-CURRENT host, but I was able to work around that
by copying /usr/bin/true to /usr/bin/lint.

I stumbled over this mailing list post concerning lint. You might give it a try before continuing setting up a jail:
more fallout from removal of lint

I've already set up an 11.0 jail so do have access to lint. It's probably safer to create the correct environment when building versions of FreeBSD which are different from that on the host, since there could be other such unforeseen gotchas waiting.

I've already set up an 11.0 jail so do have access to lint. It's probably safer to create the correct environment when building versions of FreeBSD which are different from that on the host, since there could be other such unforeseen gotchas waiting.

There used to be a recommendation that after such a build completes, one should build again on the newly built version itself.
That may be a waste of time in many cases, but nevertheless I consider it good advice.

Back