Buffer Overflow in xlockmore

Hi. I recently had my Freebsd 12.0 hacked.

Hacker approached the computer running xlockmore (xlocked workstation) and used a buffer overflow to cause a segmentation fault error, thus crashing the application and accessing the computer contents.
Please either fix this bug or remove from the repository (all xlocks), it's faulty and dangerous.
Finally, a suggestion. I recently installed Solaris 11, one cool thing Solaris does is it prevents root logins. You can be root, by logging in from another user account, but no direct login. I think it would be worthin considering something like that on FreeBSD.

Hacker approached the computer running xlockmore (xlocked workstation) and used a buffer overflow to cause a segmentation fault error, thus crashing the application and accessing the computer contents.
If this is correct it needs to be fixed upstream, report it here: http://sillycycle.com/xlockmore.html

Please either fix this bug or remove from the repository (all xlocks), it's faulty and dangerous.
Provide details and report the issue to ports-secteam@FreeBSD.org so it can be added to VuXML.

Finally, a suggestion. I recently installed Solaris 11, one cool thing Solaris does is it prevents root logins. You can be root, by logging in from another user account, but no direct login. I think it would be worthin considering something like that on FreeBSD.
You can configure that yourself if you so desire.

Smok said:
Was this felony reported to law enforcement?

Fixing xlock won't make you any more secure from an attacker with physical access. That's a threat that only you can address.

They updated x11/xlockmore 10-4-19. I saw it when I updated my ports tree. I don't know whether it addressed your issue or not.

Back