BSD 7.1 Install Fails on Q

Hello im a first time user of BSD and I cant get it to install.
The first thing that signifies a problem is when it says "Starting an emergency holographic shell on VYT4" it then ends with "Error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dlist: Input/output error (5)".

Q is a PowerPC compatible port of QEMU

Is this a Problem with the Virtual Machine or is it just me?:(

BSDNoob2049 said:
The first thing that signifies a problem is when it says "Starting an emergency holographic shell on VYT4" it then ends with "Error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dlist: Input/output error (5)".

I never used Q, but "Input/output error" suggests it has trouble reading the install iso, is it a file on the host or is it a physical disc? If the latter it might just be a bad burn, in that case try passing the emulator the iso instead of pointing it at an optical drive, thats usually faster anyway.

If its not that then its probably a problem specific to Q which I guess few people here know about... (at least I can report FreeBSD 7.1 can mount its install iso as a qemu guest on the emulated /dev/acd0 on FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64 hosts, so its either Q doing something different than qemu, or _maybe_ a weird bug that only shows up on mac/ppc.)

Oh or Q is based on a too old snapshot of the qemu source that doesn't like FreeBSD 7.1 for some reason.

nox@ said:
I never used Q, but "Input/output error" suggests it has trouble reading the install iso, is it a file on the host or is it a physical disc? If the latter it might just be a bad burn, in that case try passing the emulator the iso instead of pointing it at an optical drive, thats usually faster anyway.

If its not that then its probably a problem specific to Q which I guess few people here know about... (at least I can report FreeBSD 7.1 can mount its install iso as a qemu guest on the emulated /dev/acd0 on FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64 hosts, so its either Q doing something different than qemu, or _maybe_ a weird bug that only shows up on mac/ppc.)

Oh or Q is based on a too old snapshot of the qemu source that doesn't like FreeBSD 7.1 for some reason.

Q uses QEMU 0.9.0 source code and the current QEMU source is 0.9.1

I tried to install from the iso maybe a bad download?

Sadly Q is the only Free x86 Virtual Machine for PowerPC Macs I could find all the rest cost anything from $200 to $700 so im stuck with Q.

In other words if its not a bad download I wont be able to try FreeBSD.

I have managed to get PC-BSD working witch is bassed on FreeBSD though so its not all bad. Also thanks for your time.

BSDNoob2049 said:
Q uses QEMU 0.9.0 source code and the current QEMU source is 0.9.1
Ouch, 0.9.0 is about two years old...

BSDNoob2049 said:
I tried to install from the iso maybe a bad download?
Yeah thats also possible of course (check md5?)

BSDNoob2049 said:
Sadly Q is the only Free x86 Virtual Machine for PowerPC Macs I could find all the rest cost anything from $200 to $700 so im stuck with Q.
qemu itself is also supposed to run on macs if I'm not mistaken, it just doesn't come with a fancy gui...

Back