• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Broken EFI partition

nvaz

Hi guys,
ok, I f*cked it up and accidentally deleted whatever there was inside the efi partition (stupid story, don't even ask), so now my system won't boot, obviously.
Is there any way I can just reinstall or write to that partition whatever data EFI needs to have in there? I'm reallly trying to avoid reinstalling everything again.

Hope you can help

Maelstorm

You didn't give the layout of your system, so it's kinda hard to tell what it was that may have been deleted. If you deleted the partition which has /boot then you may have to do a full reinstall. We need more information.

EDIT:

I don't have a FreeBSD box that is UEFI, but I found this page in the wiki that might help you.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI

nvaz

Hi,
the partition per se is still there, I just accidentally deleted its contents when rm-ing other stuff. I will give it a try to the link and see if I can recreate the partition.
In case I had to install everything again, is there any way to skip certain partitions when manual partitioning your disk? I couldn't find a way to tell the installer not to format my home partition.

getopt

To restore the content try dd if=/boot/boot1.efifat of=/dev/yourEFIpartition

Disclaimer: I do not use the EFI madness and buy only hardware where that nonsense can be disabled.

nvaz

Hi guys,
A simple dd fixed the problem! Had I known it was that damn easy yesterday :)
Thanks everyone for your answers.

PS: Yeah, I know UEFI is not that popular amongst BSD's, but honestly I haven't had any problems with it at all, and this one doesn't really count since it was my fault.