Booting FreeBSD over USB

Hello everyone, since i had lots of free time lately i decided to try FreeBSD 12 32bit for the first time.
Although installation has been very complicated and time consuming, ive managed to install it on my laptop.
Now here's the deal, i have enclosed my laptop HDD into external casing, you know the one that instead of using sata, it connects your HDD over USB?
Basically it wont boot FreeBSD now, i have tried every single option , it always gets stuck on this screen.
please help me fix this, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_194053.jpg
    IMG_20200531_194053.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
Seems that you are trying to mount root from wrong devive. da0 is your USB device but you are trying to mount root from ada0, which is SATA device.

And besides fixing /etc/fstab as mentioned by Argentum, you'll need to add the following line to /boot/loader.conf:
vfs.mountroot.timeout="10"

One way is to let it fail at mount root error (You might need to disable SATA in BIOS) and then enter your USB device.
ufs:/dev/da0

The way I prefer is at the very end of the FreeBSD installation it allows you to drop to a post installation shell.
From there edit /etc/fstab to use da0.

Another way would be to label your USB stick and have /etc/fstab point to the label instead of USB stick.

Lastly you can boot up off the FreeBSD USB Memstick Installer use LiveCD mode and mount the installation and fix fstab.

Back