boot0(?) bootloader FUBAR on an old 8.0-STABLE

I haven't touched my FreeBSD box in months now, since it was the testing grounds for upgrading my production server - that didn't happen (yet, anyhow).

Anyway, I fired it up today, to upgrade from some 8.0-STABLE revision released soon after(?) 8.0-RELEASE to the latest -STABLE.

This is what I see on the screen (if I press F1 and then pause/break really quickly, otherwise it fills the screen several times a second)...

Code:
Verifying DMI Pool Data ........... [last line before FreeBSD gets control]

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1 [my swap disk]

Boot: F1
/boot.config: -D -S115200

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot: *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. etc
... where the *'s are the ASCII character 187 (decimal, of course), and the .'s ASCII character 191.
http://www.asciitable.com/

Those characters print in an infinite loop, with the screen scrolling along as fast as it can print the characters. When I press pause/break, the last 10 or so characters are all #187, with the blinking cursor after the last one.

Any clue what the heck is wrong? I can't remember if it worked last time I checked, as that was probably in 2009.
If I do boot from a CD, what do I do to recover/reinstall the boot loader? Simply use sysinstall and 10 seconds later it's done?

It's a ZFS root system (but /boot.config appears to read all right, so... hmm) with an UFS /boot.
Athlon 64 3200+, FreeBSD/amd64
nForce4 motherboard.

New trouble... I installed a new boot0, and zfsboot (both from the 8.1-BETA1 LiveFS CD) and moved the kernel stuff to /boot on the ZFS root partition (tank/root), and now I'm getting "No ZFS pools located, can't boot". I've tried quite a bit of stuff, but it won't find anything.

F1 FreeBSD
Boot: F1
/boot.config: -D -S115200

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot: *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. etc

This is the boot0 (i.e. MBR) working and running. Not completly sure what exactly you mean with "*.*.* etc" and "ASCII character 187" (Which is a box drawing character...?) but at this point the kernel should be loaded & the system should start booting.
In any case, it's way past the boot0 stage, so this doesn't seem to be the problem. At this point the boot loader (i.e. /boot/loader) is being run.

I'm not sure about the ZFS error, I haven't really had the chance/reason to use ZFS.

In any case, I would recommend to check your hard disk first, I wrote some instructions on how to do that here:
http://www.daemonforums.org/showpost.php?p=28164&postcount=4

Posting your partition table layout and disklabel layout may also help us to understand your problem.

Why do you use a separate partition table entry? You can just create a new label with bsdlabel. (Using a partition table entry if the Linux way of doing it ;)).
Now that you've got it set up, keep it this way (If it works, it works), but just for future reference ;)

Carpetsmoker said:
This is the boot0 (i.e. MBR) working and running. Not completly sure what exactly you mean with "*.*.* etc" and "ASCII character 187" (Which is a box drawing character...?) but at this point the kernel should be loaded & the system should start booting.
In any case, it's way past the boot0 stage, so this doesn't seem to be the problem. At this point the boot loader (i.e. /boot/loader) is being run.
Yeah, it printed those box drawing characters. I wasn't sure they would show up properly on the forums, so I used * and . to represent the pattern it was printing instead.

Since switching from boot2 to zfsboot "helped", I'm assuming the problem was in boot2, and not the loader, though?

Back