Solved Boot problems after fresh install

Hello,

I have a PC where I have various linux distros. I wanted to install FreeBSD on a dedicated disk. So I grabbed the ISO, booted from USB, ran bsdinstall.

However, my BIOS can't find that partition and I can't boot FreeBSD. I tried Auto-ZFS with: GPT(BIOS), GPT(UEFI), BIOS+UEFI, GPT+Active(BIOS). I also tried UFS with GPT but still, my BIOS doesn't show FreeBSD as a bootable option.

I even tried reinstalling efi with `gpart bootcode` but no luck.

Anyone has an idea what is wrong here? Especially that the installer USB boots just fine.

BTW, I have an ASUS motherboard and even though the 'secure boot' option is Enabled, apparently turning that off is by setting os type to 'other os'. Anyways, the linux distros work just fine as I wrote above.

I even tried reinstalling efi with `gpart bootcode` but no luck.
You can't reinstall the UEFI boot loader with gpart(8), you can only install gptboot(8) or gptzfsboot(8) in the freebsd-boot partition with it.

Keep secure boot turned off. Use "GPT(BIOS)" because you probably already have an EFI partition from the Linux installs. After the installation finished, mount the existing efi partition (it's FAT) and copy /boot/loader.efi to ${EFI_Partition}/EFI/FreeBSD/loader.efi, then run efibootmgr(8) to add FreeBSD to your boot options. Or fix Grub from Linux to load it.

Hi,

On my ASUS motherboard this is what I have:
"CSM" --> "enabled", then "Boot Device Control" --> "UEFI and Legacy"
And also boot secure and fast boot are disable.

If you are not sure with grub or any boot loader you still can directly boot from the selected disk from the the Bios menu.

Hi,

On my ASUS motherboard this is what I have:
"CSM" --> "enabled", then "Boot Device Control" --> "UEFI and Legacy"
And also boot secure and fast boot are disable.

If you are not sure with grub or any boot loader you still can directly boot from the selected disk from the the Bios menu.
Yes, I have CSM enabled and UEFI and Legacy selected.

Thing is: I can't select the disk from Bios menu! Yeah, I could add that to grub but maybe someday I'll just get rid of Linux. This still doesn't explain why the USB, which does have its own EFI partition, can be properly discovered by Bios while the FreeBSD installation isn't visible. Could there be some disk setup?

OK I installed FreeBSD on a different drive and at least I can see it in Bios and boot FreeBSD. Maybe it's some disk config, not FreeBSD-related.

Back