Solved Boot msgs not in /var/run/dmesg.boot

I see a number of error msgs related to networking but they don't get recorded in /var/run/dmesg.boot.

Can I expect to find them somewhere else?

They may not come straight from the kernel, and therefore not going to the dmesg buffer.
Many of that can be found in /var/log/messages, and for some other pieces you may uncomment the console.info line in /etc/syslog.conf (and create the destination file).

Background: The dmesg buffer contains only kernel messages. Not messages from user processes. Those go eventually into /var/log/messages. In reality, that's all MUCH more complicated, and has to do with the syslog configuration, see man syslog, and read /etc/syslog.conf and the files in /etc/syslog.d.

During booting, when the init system comes up, one of the tasks it does is to save the dmesg buffer (the kernel messages) from booting in that /var/run/dmesg.boot file. You can see exactly where that happens, the script is in /etc/rc.d/dmesg.

Typically, networking errors happen during the initial startup phase of the system, when the other rc scripts are being executed. Typically, those error messages are from user processes, not from the kernel, so they won't be visible in dmesg to begin with. And I don't remember the order of rc files by heart; the network startup might happen after dmesg.boot is written.

I agree with PMc's advice: Read /var/log/messages, and configure syslog.conf to log whatever you need. And attach a physical console, and see the messages stream by.

I agree with PMc's advice: Read /var/log/messages, and configure syslog.conf to log whatever you need. And attach a physical console, and see the messages stream by.

Creating /var/log/console.log did the trick which captured this:-

Code:
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: Mounting NFS filesystems:mount: /mnt/recordings: No such file or directory
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: [tcp] 192.168.1.3:/mnt/nas/backup: NFSPROC_NULL: RPC: Program/version mismatch; low version = 2, high version = 3
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server syslogd: last message repeated 1 times
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: Script /etc/rc.d/mountcritremote interrupted
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: Creating and/or trimming log files.
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: Starting syslogd.
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: Clearing /tmp (X related).
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: NFSv4 is disabled
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: Starting rpcbind.
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: /etc/rc.d/mountd: WARNING: /etc/exports is not readable.
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: Starting mountd.
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: Mar 18 20:57:34 <3.3> PXE-server mountd[907]: can't open any exports file
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: /etc/rc: WARNING: Unable to force mountd. It may already be running.
Mar 18 20:57:34 <14.6> PXE-server kernel: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed precmd routine for nfsd

For some reason I can mount NFS shares from one server but not from another, so I guess the shares on the servers must be configured slightly differently...

Next step: /ext/exports and all that gunk. Getting NFS to work for heterogeneous networks has sometimes been very painful for me, although usually it just works trivially right out of the box. If it doesn't, it's hard to debug. Good luck.

Next step: /ext/exports and all that gunk. Getting NFS to work for heterogeneous networks has sometimes been very painful for me, although usually it just works trivially right out of the box. If it doesn't, it's hard to debug. Good luck.

Actually the /etc/exports error is a red herring. I'm just setting up a system from scratch and was enabling NFSD inadvertantly...

This is the problem I can't figure out.
Code:
Mounting NFS filesystems:[tcp] 192.168.1.3:/mnt/nas/backup: NFSPROC_NULL: RPC: Program/version mismatch; low version = 2, high version = 3
Script /etc/rc.d/mountcritremote interrupted
If I try to mount this share on this NFS sever via /etc/fstab it fails, but doing it manually it succeeds :confused:

Maybe different versions of NFSD are being used - not sure how to check the version.

Back