Boot menu screen resolution in UEFI mode

Please tell me how to change the boot menu screen resolution in UEFI mode. I set the screen resolution parameters to 1920x1080 in loader.conf. It works and the text becomes clear. But the menu, logo and brand are in 1/4 of the screen. On some widescreen monitors? the menu is stretched to full screen (the left half is the menu and the brand, the second half is the logo). Is it possible to scale the resolution of the boot menu so that it looks the same on all monitors?

The size of the boot menu, logo and brand are determined by the automatic selected font size based on the screen resolution, "to achieve terminal dimensions 80x24.".

You can force a smaller font in /boot/loader.conf to shrink the boot menu, logo and brand size. A selection of valid fonts can be found under /boot/fonts.

It's also possible to create a custom font from a gzip(1)ed .fnt font, but not all .fnt fonts are suitable. It works well for example with x11-fonts/spleen.

loader.conf(5)
Code:
           screen.font
                     Set font size for framebuffer mode.  Default font size is
                     selected based on screen resolution, to achieve terminal
                     dimensions 80x24.

Please tell me how to change the boot menu screen resolution in UEFI mode.
loader.conf(5):
Code:
           efi_max_resolution

vbe_max_resolution
                     Specify the maximum desired resolution for the EFI or VBE
                     framebuffer console.  The following values are accepted:

Value           Resolution
                     480p            640x480
                     720p            1280x720
                     1080p           1920x1080
                     2160p           3840x2160
                     4k              3840x2160
                     5k              5120x2880
                     WidthxHeight    WidthxHeight

You might want to change the font size too:
Code:
           screen.font
                     Set font size for framebuffer mode.  Default font size is
                     selected based on screen resolution, to achieve terminal
                     dimensions 80x24.

Yeah, it's mostly due to font size. Lets assume a line of text 80 characters long. If each character is 10 pixels wide the line would be 800 pixels. On a 800x600 resolution that would fill the entire width of the screen. With 1920x1080 you can 'fit' 192 10 pixel wide characters on a line. If you only have 80 characters then yes, it's going to take up about 1/4 of the left top screen.

Yeah, it's mostly due to font size. Lets assume a line of text 80 characters long. If each character is 10 pixels wide the line would be 800 pixels. On a 800x600 resolution that would fill the entire width of the screen. With 1920x1080 you can 'fit' 192 10 pixel wide characters on a line. If you only have 80 characters then yes, it's going to take up about 1/4 of the left top screen.
An interesting experiment is that when I connect via DVI to a GT6600 video card, the resolution of the menu screen is stretched to full screen. But when I connect to the motherboard (processor with graphics), the screen resolution becomes 1/4. In loader.conf I have the resolution set to 1920x1080. Both graphics support this screen resolution. Works differently on graphics devices. For me this is strange.

An interesting experiment is that when I connect via DVI to a GT6600 video card, the resolution of the menu screen is stretched to full screen.
With or without the NVidia driver loaded? I wouldn't be surprised if the NVidia card ignores the resolution setting and simply defaults to 800x600. What does the monitor say it is?

With or without the NVidia driver loaded? I wouldn't be surprised if the NVidia card ignores the resolution setting and simply defaults to 800x600. What does the monitor say it is?
Loading without NVidia drivers, but the monitor is fine. The console is set to 800x600 by default, but the resolution is full screen.

Back