Code:
Trying to mount root from ufs dev ad0s1a
added: not found

The system is just "read only".

If I try fsck -f, I get the error
Code:
fsck_ufs for /dev/ad0s1a in /sbin:/usr/sbin:  no such file or directory

How to rescue it?

Are you dropped to single user mode or are you stuck in the bootloader?

ada0s1a? Not enough information to know the commands available at the prompt there, nor your current mounted filesystems if any at the error messages. Maybe posting more context (the post before this one also does not have enough information.) At any rate, it should be easy, but not simple (multiple steps and posts here...)

After restart, my freeBSD goes to the single user mode automatically and I get these messages on the screen:

Attachments

• bsd.jpg
    bsd.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,786
Might be easy to fix, but with commands such as:
Code:
mount -t ufs -o rw /dev/ad0s1a # 
fsck_ffs -y /dev/ad0s1a   # etc (the other stuff in [FILE]/etc/fstab[/FILE]
edit /etc/fstab   # modify it maybe after fsck_ffs for any corrected devices
Of course there's other stuff I've forgotten or do not know enough to suggest simply from memory... such as the terse "not found" might refer to ad0s1a now existing with another name in /dev, maybe change to it and look around...

fsck or /sbin/fsck doesn't work!

Code:
fsck_ufs for /dev/ad0s1a in /sbin:/usr/sbin:  no such file or directory

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,659
wblock@ said:
# /rescue/fsck -y -t ufs

If that doesn't work, boot from an mfsBSD CD and run it from there.

Thanks but which command should I run from mfsbsd boot CD, if I run /rescue/fsck -y -t ufs nothing happens.
Should I mount first?

Do not mount any of the filesystems. -t ufs tells fsck(8) to look at /etc/fstab and check all the UFS filesystems listed there. But the mfsBSD CD doesn't have entries for your disk, so refer to the filesystems by device:
Code:
# fsck -y /dev/ad0s1a
# fsck -y /dev/ad0s1d
# fsck -y /dev/ad0s1e
# fsck -y /dev/ad0s1f

• Thanks
Reactions: ccc
Thanks, but cannot find /dev/ad0s1a and don't know how to identify the file system.

Attachments

• mfsbsd.jpg
    mfsbsd.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,253
Code:
 fsck_ffs -y /dev/ad0s1a
I found that that command would work on a thumbdrive [1] where fsck gives the same error as your linked file above. Unsure about the ada0s1a OR ada1s1a OR ad0s1a etc, additionally sometimes
Code:
 #cd /dev
#ls
before the fsck_ffs sometimes worked better (if I recall).

[1] In that regard, I've taped it to one of the thumbdrives for reference.

Thx, it works now using fsck_ffs instead of fsck command:
Code:
mfsbsd# ls /dev/ad*
/dev/ad0	/dev/ad0s1a	/dev/ad0s1d	/dev/ad0s1f
/dev/ad0s1	/dev/ad0s1b	/dev/ad0s1e
mfsbsd# [color="Red"][B]fsck -y /dev/ad0s1a
fsck: Could not determine filesystem type[/B][/color]
mfsbsd# [B]fsck_ffs -y /dev/ad0s1a
** /dev/ad0s1a
** Last Mounted on /
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
3818 files, 135068 used, 2342011 free (811 frags, 292650 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)

***** FILE SYSTEM IS CLEAN *****[/B]

I've successfully cleaned all drives:

/dev/ad0s1a
/dev/ad0s1d
/dev/ad0s1e
/dev/ad0s1f

but my FreeBSD won't boot and still goes by itself into single user mode.
Any idea howto solve this problem?

jb_fvwm2 said:
More details about the boot--default menu? Deselect firewire in BIOS? No USB attached?

Boot menu looks normal, default, standard. No firewire and no USB attached. Is there any repair option in the setup CD?

Usually it shows a reason if it (without the CD, just the install) goes to single-user. Errors shown that way? (For instance, I have to boot v9 with default rather than what used to be choice #2 , acpi disabled).

jb_fvwm2 said:
Usually it shows a reason if it (without the cd, just the install) goes to single-user. Errors shown that way? (For instance, I have to boot v9 with default rather than what used to be choice #2 , acpi disabled).

To boot with "acpi disabled" didn't help.
BTW I get these error messages after restart:

Attachments

• bsd.jpg
    bsd.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,163
You are already booted, though not in the way you'd expect. If you can fsck_ffs every filesystem, you may be able to load your normal shell #csh #or... maybe after a mount -va ... From your attached image above, what about running fsck_ffs on the likely instances in /dev ?

jb_fvwm2 said:
You are already booted, though not in the way you'd expect. If you can fsck_ffs every filesystem, you may be able to load your normal shell #csh #or... maybe after a mount -va ... From your attached image above, what about running fsck_ffs on the likely instances in /dev ?

I've done what you suggested, but still goes into single user mode.

The errors say that it can't find swapon(8), which should be in /sbin. So somehow /etc/fstab is wrong, or possibly there's more than one drive and the wrong one is being mounted, or this is not a standard FreeBSD system. Or the disk just picked this time to grow some bad sectors.

Back