Solved Block to the start screen after a FreeBSD installation on a UEFI BIOS

Dear FreeBSD users and developers,

I've just installed FreeBSD with a USB stick on my computer which has a UEFI bios. I've choosed the FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64-uefi-memstick.img image and the installation ran fine. In order to get FreeBSD starts, I've switched the Secure Boot option from "Windows" to "Other OS".

But now, I'm not able to go further the start screen (see below). I've tried to strike DEL or F2 but the screen stay in the same state. I've also tried to reinstall from the USB stick but the computer doesn't recognize it anymore.

Does anyone know what's happening?

Can't look at the image. Access denied (can't post the original error message cause it is german on my system).

Can't look at the image. Access denied (can't post the original error message cause it is german on my system).

This is the original error message:
Oops, we encountered an error.

Access denied.
The location of the server to which you linked is not available.
You may need to log into your account to access this page.

pieside, please, use another service to show the image.

Thank you for your answer. Can you see it now?

Attachments

• IMG_20151008_120327.621.jpg
    IMG_20151008_120327.621.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 248
Sure, but I don't see any useful error in this image :)
Yes, indeed, it's not a very useful image but I made progress. I have two hard disks, one optical and one HDD. It seems the problem is coming from the HDD because I've disconnected it and now I'm able to access the BIOS.

pieside, BIOS implementations that support both legacy and UEFI booting are somewhat variable in quality. Check your PC or motherboard manufacturer for any UEFI firmware updates, which may include bug fixes. Can you list what other options are available in the BIOS? In terms of configuration you want to:
  • Enable UEFI boot
  • Disable Secure boot
  • Disable Legacy boot, which may be labelled MBR boot or CSM module
  • Disable Fast Boot (relating to Windows).
Does your PC boot using UEFI or MBR boot when you use the FreeBSD installation media? You can tell from the start of the first line you see; ">> FreeBSD EFI boot block" for UEFI and "BTX Loader" for MBR boot.

Are you using a GPT or MBR partitioning scheme on your hard disk?

pieside, BIOS implementations that support both legacy and UEFI booting are somewhat variable in quality. Check your PC or motherboard manufacturer for any UEFI firmware updates, which may include bug fixes. Can you list what other options are available in the BIOS? In terms of configuration you want to:
  • Enable UEFI boot
  • Disable Secure boot
  • Disable Legacy boot, which may be labelled MBR boot or CSM module
  • Disable Fast Boot (relating to Windows).
Does your PC boot using UEFI or MBR boot when you use the FreeBSD installation media? You can tell from the start of the first line you see; ">> FreeBSD EFI boot block" for UEFI and "BTX Loader" for MBR boot.

Are you using a GPT or MBR partitioning scheme on your hard disk?

I successfully updated the BIOS firmware of the motherboard (ASUS H87-Plus) and configured all the BIOS options as above. Now, I installed FreeBSD and all is working.
To install it, I think I had two options:
  1. Configure the BIOS as above and use the FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img
  2. Let the BIOS to the default options and use the FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64-uefi-memstick.img.
In a first attempt, I chose the second option but this is the first one which works for my computer.

To answer to your questions, the PC boot uses MBR boot and I'm using a GPT partitioning scheme on the hard disk.

Thank you for the time you took to answer.

Back