Black screen with GDM 2.26

Since FreeBSD 7.2/Xorg 7.4/Gnome 2.26 (all installed from the 7.2 Installation DVD) I only get a black screen with a clock-mouse-cursor when I start "gdm" (looks like when starting X without "-retro"). I've read all about xorg 7.4 problems, also the sticky notes, but no solution for my problem anywhere. KDM does work though.
So what is the problem here with GDM? Any trick I am missing or is maybe one of the gnome-related packages just broken on the Installation-iso/7.2-release-packages, like it used to happen in the past?

First see if you can get X to work without KDM, GDM or XDM.

It's probably just needs some tweaking of xorg.conf.

What graphicscard do you have? Anything in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Sorry guys, but the problem was something completely different: Gnome was not completely installed due to an installation error reported by sysinstall. Some problem with the package "gnome-xscreensaver-hacks" conflicting with "xscreensaver".
After doing a pkg_add -rf gnome2 I got gdm to work. As I said, kdm worked right from the start. But I doubt still that gnome is installed properly. The sound mixer doesn't work.
Did anyone else have an installation problem with gnome from the 7.2 Installation DVD?

I had many troubles with the gnome2 package. gdm, pulseaudio, mixer and many little things more wouldn't work correctly. My way was to compile all new from the ports. Now mostly works fine.
Yesterday, after portupgrade to gnome2-2.26.3 my desktop was freezing every time after use an application from my gnomepanel. That was a problem of my panel transparency. After replacement this was fixed. It's every day a new adventure for me with gnome under freebsd :\

Thanks for your reply. So how come there is almost always some problem with gnome packages in every release???!!! The last failure I remember was metacity in 7.0 or 7.1-release. It had to be recompiled from the port, because the package would cause gnome to take a very long time for the icons to show up. In a prior release there was a problem with nspr. Compiz never worked from packages, and so on. This is really annoying. What is it that the maintainers of the gnome-packages do wrong? Can ports be "wrongly" compiled to packages?
Is there a way of making KDE4 look and work like gnome? Maybe that would be the best solution, unless you want to take days for installing your system of choice by from ports.

Cabriofahrer
KDE look like KDE and Gnome look like Gnome
If you install Gnome with pkg_add -rf gnome2 its probably cause
your problem because I had the same problem in the paste.
Me I use pkg_add -r gnome2 you can use pkg_add -r -f gnome2.
Look this all you need to use FreeBSD Gnome.
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q1

Back