Solved Black screen after stage 3 menu

Upgraded my system to 12.2 from 12.1. However, now when I boot the kernel, screen immediately goes black.
I've tried playing with gop settings and then booting, but that doesn't change anything.
I have a lenovo ideapad 320-15ast with AMD Stoney (Radeon R4) graphics.
System does continue to boot to console, but screen remains black.
I can boot a 12.2 dvd without graphic problems.
I have both, the amdgpu and vesa modules loaded.
It was fine going through 12.1 upgrades, but the upgrade to 12.2 changed something, but I don't know what to look for. I have booted dvd and chrooted into my 12.2 system and all looks fine. Nothing added to rc.conf or loader.conf.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

I have the same problem... I think it has something to do with the pkg graphics drivers not being upgraded. I am running pkg upgrade right now before I retry the 12.2 upgrade... I will report back and see if that works.

I have .....the amdgpu .... modules loaded.
It was fine going through 12.1 upgrades, but the upgrade to 12.2 changed something
I am running pkg upgrade right now
If you have graphics/drm-kmod (respectively graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod) as package installed, remove drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, install from ports: /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.

It's a known problem on 12.2, the package is build for the oldest supported RELEASE version, in this case 12.1, which causes incompatibility on 12.2.

... before I retry the 12.2 upgrade
Don't, it won't do any good.

as T-Daemon mentioned updating pkg and then upgrading to 12.2 did not work. however installing drm-fbsd12.0-kmod did work, and now I am on 12.2... I remember someone saying not to mix ports and pkg, and mentioning that we must pick one and stick with it. So I'm not sure what the consequence of installing from ports and keep using pkg is going to be... It works for now though.

It's good advice, but I'd bet that 95 percent of the people have one or two ports mixed in. *Most* of the time, you can get away with it. But there are, of course, lots of difference cases where say, you install a port months ago that you forget about, then you upgrade say, open office and it won't start because of a missing shared object.

However, I'm going to say, that you only install one or two things from ports, 90 percent of the time, at least, you can get away with it.
Like many others with intel graphics cards, I installed drm-kmod from ports, and so far, it hasn't caused a problem. (Knock wood).

If you have graphics/drm-kmod (respectively graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod) as package installed, remove drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, install from ports: /usr/ports/graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.

It's a known problem on 12.2, the package is build for the oldest supported RELEASE version, in this case 12.1, which causes incompatibility on 12.2.

Thanks!
Apparently my ports tree is now corrupt, so will fix/replace it, then replace the drm-fbsd-kmod file.

I marked this solved due to others saying it helped.
Somehow, for me, the upgrade to 12.2 caused other problems that I've been fighting.
Now, I'm just going to re-install with the 12.2 dvd.
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Back