Bind9 Installation and Configuration Step by Step Guide is Wanted :(

Hi everyone,

I have installed bind9. but I cant get working.
It rejects queries.

it returns
RCODE 5 - Query Refused

I got this message from http://www.simpledns.com/lookup.aspx

In fact I dont know how can I test why bind9 does not work properly.

can some one shareknowledge about bind9 and latest developments?

I want t configure my dns server for multidomains support. I want to use it for my domains on my vps server.

Yes I understand. I did everything. but I does not respond :( it rejects. Someone can give an example for master DNS server with multiple domain support. I did everything but I couldn't do this. Everything seems ok but it does not work. I also looked Apress book and it also say same thing which I already did:( I will try unstall and install again.

I just want to ask, I don't remember that did I select the replace bind option on blue config screen. But I setup FreeBSD 8.1 as a minimal installation and I didn't install anything else. In this case, do I have to do replace? Or it is also not installed and I don't need it?

DutchDaemon, Special thanks for you.I look at a lot of posts and you seemed rock star for me :) I appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

A minimal installation = the base system. And the base system includes BIND, so you don't need a port. If you did install the port, you can see the options you used in /var/db/ports/bindXX/options (XX = version-dependent, e.g. bind97).

minimal installation does not have ports I use portsnapshot command.

Now I have solved DNs problem:) Thanks for your advise.

but I understand that minimal installation has Bind latest version , are you sure about that If I dont select the ports on setup screen? If you sure , I am suprised because I installed:) and use it :)

ulas said:
it returns
RCODE 5 - Query Refused

Did you solve the problem by adding the red lines to your named.conf file?

Code:
options {
        // All file and path names are relative to the chroot directory,
        // if any, and should be fully qualified.
        directory       "/etc/namedb/working";
        pid-file        "/var/run/named/pid";
        dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/stats/named.stats";
        [color="Red"]recursion yes;
        allow-recursion { any; };[/color]

P.S. You can replace "any" with exact IPs...

Back