Binary Updates

I have been away from FreeBSD for a while now. The main reason for my absence was that I wanted to stay on the edge and therefore picked -STABLE. I had to compile most of the software and it was tedious to do so on a first gen notebook.

Now I am thinking about coming back, tracking only -RELEASE if I must, and am looking into a solution that would let me work with binary packages only.

Updating the base is really easy with freebsd-update. But I am unsure about packages. I have googled a bit and could only find old threads. I believe pkgng is getting more and more widely used nowadays, and wanted to know if I could use it. Or if there is another tool that would let me upgrade ALL packages to new releases using BINARY ONLY.

Thanks for the help!

You may have been away over a misunderstanding. The latest packages work on -STABLE. Old-style packages are available again, and I think pkgng packages are due soon.

I checked the pkgng packages and they seemed incomplete and out-of-date at the same time. I tend to think it will take A LOT more time for it to be usable.

Other than that, how can I use packages on -STABLE? I mean which tool would not ask me to compile this port and that and just work with binary?

If I am not mistaken the wiki page doesn't talk about updates though, only about installing and removing.

Majorix said:
If I am not mistaken the wiki page doesn't talk about updates though, only about installing and removing.

Updating involves removing the old and installing the new version ;)

Back