/bin/sh: Shared object has no run-time symbol table

Hi,

I was booting from FreeBSD-10.0-BETA3-amd64-memstick.img but my PC stopped at:

Code:
/bin/sh: Shared object has no run-time symbol table
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

At this state I entered /bin/csh but the FreeBSD installer did not start. How can I run the FreeBSD installer to install FreeBSD from a memory stick onto my HDD partition?

I can not replicate this issue on i386 version of the same memstick image. Are you sure the USB stick you used is a good one? How did you write the image to the stick?

kpa said:
I can not replicate this issue on i386 version of the same memstick image. Are you sure the USB stick you used is a good one? How did you write the image to the stick?

With two different pen drives, I run:

# dd if="FreeBSD-10.0-BETA3-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs="10240" conv="sync"

Do not use quotes with dd(1) parameters:
dd if=FreeBSD-10.0-BETA3-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs=10240 conv=sync

The bs value is from decades ago, and conv=sync will only help if the file is corrupted... when it would be better off failing. So I'd use:
dd if=FreeBSD-10.0-BETA3-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs=64k

However, I doubt that this would cause the problem shown in post #1.

I also tried the AMD64 memstick image and still couldn't reproduce this problem. There must be something peculiar about the machine you're using that causes the installer to fail.

Start investigating the hardware on that system.

Run a RAM checker, double-check all the cables are seated correctly, make sure your PSU is powerful enough, reseat all the PCI/e cards, run a CPU checker, etc.

Back