Solved Bhyve - Illumos

• Thread starter Deleted member 63539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 63539

OmniOS booted, installed fine, but the installed system doesn't boot.

OpenIndiana booted, but the installation failed because can't create zpool.

Today, I tried Tribblix normal variant. It gives a bit more insights into the problems:

cpio: can't open/create, errno 28, No space left on device.

I found even though OI and Tribblix detected that the disk is virtio-blk and iostat -Er reported it fine, format doesn't. It has trouble working with the blkdev0. Switched back to ahci-hd make format happy, but the installation still fails because it can't work with the device.

I could go a bit further with this:

On Tribblix root shell:
Code:
echo 'sd-config-list = "**", "physical-block-size:4096";' >> /kernel/drv/sd.conf
update_drv -vf sd
cfgadm -c unconfigure sata3/0
cfgadm -c configure sata3/0
It printed a bit more output but finally still failed to install.

Almost forgot, my vm config is as follow:
Code:
loader="uefi"
cpu=2
memory=2G
network0_type="e1000"
network0_switch="public"
disk0_type="ahci-hd"
disk0_name="disk0.img"
graphics="yes"
xhci_mouse="no"
graphics_res="1024x768"
graphics_wait="yes"
Update: install to UFS is fine, though. I have no trouble with partitioning the disk and installing. But the Tribblix guide doesn't tell how to install to GPT and UEFI with UFS. So my installation ended up failed to boot with Bhyve's UEFI firmware. Changed it to uefi-csm doesn't help, as the vm stuck with a black screen. I have to poweroff it from vm-bhyve. As I said, the Bhyve uefi-csm firmware sucks. The only way to boot legacy bios based system on Bhyve now is grub2-bhyve, and I don't know how to use grub2 to boot Illumos.

I found the solution. It failed because it can't check is sector size of the disk. Luckily, bhyve allows us to set the block storage device's sector size:

For vm-bhyve users like me, just add this line to the VM's config file is enough:

Code:
disk0_opts="sectorsize=4096/4096"

Back