bhyve Bhyve default options for UEFI according to bugs' page?

Hello BSD fellows,

I'm trying to set a new host server and configure several OpenBSD, FreeBSD and Windows VMs (all UEFIs), under FreeBSD 14 and vm-bhyve package.

Currently I'm trying to learn parameters in .conf files. I wonder what are the most important "bhyve_options" switches for UEFI VMs, and I came across the posts in these two links;

and

this: https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=273560

My question is; according to the info above on both links, should all UEFI VMs (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Windows) have bhyve_options="-A -P" in their conf files?

I've only used UEFI on Windows, some RH servers, and a couple of other Linux's where I wanted a GUI. On the Debian, Devuan, Arch, and Fedora vm's I didn't need the options -A. (Haven't had to use the -P for anything, actually. What I have found with the non RH or RH based Linuxes, once the machine is stopped and started again, it doesn't boot properly. I hate to spam my own page--naw, I'm lying, I love to--my page on vm-bhyve goes over that towards the end of the page--basically, with these versions of Linux you have reinstall grub and rename grub64.efi. https://srobb.net/vm-bhyve.html

I haven't run {Free,Open}BSD on a uefi boot, so I don't know if they have a similar problem. I would try it and see. If they boot without the options, then you don't need them. If you do need them, then run vm config and add them at the end of the conf file.

For what it's worth, I've also found that if you use a centos7 template, on most Linux installs, you have to comment out the xhci mouse line or else you won't have mouse or keyboard working in X. Again this was for various Linux installs, I don't know about *BSD ones, but once you've tried, please come back and share your experiences.

-Hw is the default one vm-bhyve automatically adds. So, in my case, for UEFI, I use, -HwAP.

Edit: It seems -u sets UTC.

scottro Running in rtprio? I don't know about that neither.

Back