Best way to run CentOS on FreeBSD

I have been trying to set up MythTV. The closest I have had to success was running Myth TV on CentOS 7. I have tried to install it on FreeBSD with little success. I have it working on a CentOS 7 VirtualBox on my Windows computer.

Unfortunately, my Windows Virtual host is version 6.1, FreeBSD uses 5.2. I don't think I can just copy it over. I may try.

I had run a CentOS emulator on FreeBSD a few years ago, but it was something simple. MythTV is many things, but simple is not one of them.

Am I going down the wrong path installing emulators/linux-c7, or would I be better running MythTV in a Virtual Machine?

Suggestions?

TIA

-JJ

There's a native package for FreeBSD. It's description says: Problems have been reported with this port; if you use it, you should join the FreeBSD-multimedia mailing list and report where appropriate.
I'd suggest either give it a try, or install emulators/linux_base-c7 + what the Linux version of MythTV needs, or the full emulators/linux-c7. Maybe you'll have to install additional packages RPMs with archivers/rpm4. IIRC I had it up & running a while ago, but didn't use it much so I deinstalled. Only if those both attempts do not succeed, I'd install into a VM.

Thank you for the heads up. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get this going on FreeBSD.

Standard disclaimer: install the docs: pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc, replace de with your native tongue, and point your favorite browser to /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd.

You can add to the ALIAS section of /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf message: "query '[%C/%n] %M'", and read through all pkg message|less (or pkg info -Da). Many ports need some additional setup in system configuration files, that you are supposed to do as requested.

And for us port users, /misc/freebsd-doc-en. I choose en, of course. And, executing find /usr/ports -iname 'freebsd-doc*' will show the ports with other language selections.

The pkg message is a lifesaver. I used to know that command but I'd completely have forgotten it. Thank you.

-JJ

I always thought it was the other way around, one should build from ports. I think I needed to build MythTV from ports to pick up my HDHOMERUN tuner. It has been weird as I just take the default from the ports, 95% of time. Thank you, my next build will be from packages. :)

-JJ

PS I went searching for more information on the ports vs pkg. You are correct, packages are the recommended way to go.
EDIT: added PS

Back