best intel wifi card for laptop

Hi guys,

just trying to spec out a decent wifi card for my laptop.. anyone have some good recommendations for the fastest card that will work in 11.2 or 12?

thanks

is there any wifi / Bluetooth combo cards that work at all? or just stick to a wifi card and forget about BT.

cheers

I don't use bluetooth so I can't comment but it would help to know the type expansion slot. M.2 or MiniPCIe.
Also the length of card. IE. MiniPCIe half card or full length. M.2 has different sizes as well all in MM.

The best wifi cards for FreeBSD are based on Atheros chipset in my opinion. More details and I can help.

So you'r shopping Dell and wondering about their wireless options.
Looking at the service manual it uses a M.2 module.
The problem with the 'Killer Wireless' module is that it is too new and has no support on FreeBSD.
So not all Atheros modules are ideal.
Killer Wireless is an newer 802.11ac Atheros module and FreeBSD has no 8022.11ac support
You might plan on replacing the wireless card with an older 802.11n card or use a USB wifi stick.
Most all new laptops these days have 802.11ac card.

that would be perfect.. doesn't have to be super fast.. just has to work..

thanks.

I guess I get the privilege of the 1,000th THANKS! :p

is there any wifi / Bluetooth combo cards that work at all? or just stick to a wifi card and forget about BT.
cheers
Intel cards tend to need firmware blob first, in order to operate at all. Which you'd have to initially download from internet using some other type of connection.

Old Atheros cards tend to work OTB.
Atheros AR9280 ("abgn" card) for pure WiFi. 2-streams, nothing really special. Advantages: Supported by pretty much any operating system (Free/Net/OpenBSD, DragonFly, OpenIndiana, Linux). It's firmware is still reprogrammable (unlock 5GHz hostAP functionality, modify MAC address etc, mess with output power)
Atheros AR9285 ("bgn" card), WiFi+BT, disadvantage - 1-stream chip, advantage: like one above, supported by virtually all the OS'es you might want to play around with.
Atheros AR9462 ("abgn"+BT) when you want Bluetooth as well. (300Mbit tops, 2-streams)
Atheros AR9380 ("abgn"), 3-streams, 450Mbits max card. No integrated BT

Intel 5100 - "abgn", needs firmware blob for operation, somewhat unstable on FreeBSD while using 5GHz "n" ("an") (strictly my experience ofc), no BT AFAIK.
All are mPCIe cards but that would be an non-issue if you used M2/mPCIe adapter card. Look @eBay for these.

There was another thread somewhere by someone with that card. They did have to put
Code:
 iwm7265fw_load="YES"
in /boot/loader.conf. Check the man page for iwm.

Back