Solved Benefits of using a video card

• Thread starter Deleted member 9563
  • Start date
My LGA1151 Gigabyte MX31 with Xeon is still working fine 3 years later.
Stupid buy with only 2 PCIe slots. Probably better suited to smaller chassis.
I outgrew it. I had skipped LGA1356 so it was my first dive back to servers since LGA771.

I am weary of AMD but the Intel Gold Xeons are astronomical in cost. I would like a single CPU LGA3467 ATX board.
SuperMicro, GigaByte, Intel, Tyan, ASrockRack. In that order starting with best first.

That Talos looks nice but man there is a price to pay.($85 dollar heatsink?)
SuperDeluxe Single Intel Gold 6138T(10 year warranty) $2880
SuperMicroBoard X11SPL $330

That is my wishlist. Similar in cost to the Dual Power9 but known components.
Not a gamble.

lol, I see people like to chat builds. Nice. :)

Yes, this is a bit upscale. Unusual for me, I happened to have the money for this so thought I'd give it a try. It'll probably last me a while though. In any case, I've never bought a pre-built and work on the rolling release principle with the computers in this house.

I'm not sure about Supermicro either. There are some considerations for this build though. I need this fairly quickly and a lot of US suppliers balk at selling to rural Canadian customers it seems. I don't have time for that shit - so I generally buy from Newegg which has better customer service than even my local stores. Perhaps I could have done better given a little more patience, but I just picked up the bits at the courier depot a couple of hours ago, so it's a done deal. I don't think I'll regret it. There are always too many things to consider when upgrading a box.

rigoletto@ those look like a good choice. I'd forgotten about them. :)
Phishfry thanks for the endorsement, I tend to go conservative on my choices.

As for Newegg reviews, many of those can be disregarded I've found. Typically people with a DOA unit (shit happens) or some kid who plugged something in backwards. ;) Or simply somebody with completely different expectations than mine.

I always liked the 'T' designated chips from Intel. 3770T Ivy Creek I bought 5. Sold some and kept some. They are usually OEM chips so retail channel were not accommodating. I found James at MITX on the west coast who is a system builder and bought them from him. Nice small shop catering to HTPC crowd.
That is what interests me about Intel using that 'T" naming scheme. Right now on LGA2011 we use 'L' for lower power versions while consumer chips used 'S' and 'T' for low thermal envelope chips.
So now Intel is selling a version of their server chip with a 'T' designator and it signifies 10 year lifespan.
With warranty if purchased through official channel.
10 year lifespan. You cant say that about much built these days.

I like the Noctua heatpipe. I had one like it and they sold different bracket kits so I swapped it when upgrading.
Really quiet and with some low power chips you can run it fanless.

Been using Newegg quite a while now for computer stuff and other consumer electronics. Service and prices have always been good with them.

I've been going with Intel and Gigabyte for some time, but I'm going to give the AMD APU series a shot. AMD is quite a bit less expensive than Intel these days. Still using a Gigabyte board though. I've been happy with the Gigabyte stuff, good prices and quality.

I like the integrated Radeon graphics on the AMD APU series. Further reduces the cost of the system build. Reduces power consumption and size as well. Also the Radeon Vega 11 graphics on the R5 2400G outclasses Intel UHD graphics by quite a bit.

Back