Solved Beginner friendly flash mount

I want to install FreeBSD on a PC that will be used by non-tech savvy person. The only thing that worries me is if (XFCE[thunar]/LXDE[pcmanfm]for example) is able to mount and umount flash drives in file manager without typing any commands in terminal. That is literally the only thing that keeps me from installing it currently. So does it work out of the box?

Thank you for your time.

Sorry for not being able to contribute to answering your actual question but I'd like to ask this: What reasoning lies behind providing a FreeBSD based PC to non-tech savy people?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that FreeBSD cannot be used for this or that it's a bad choice. I'm not judging, I'd like to understand the reasoning behind this conclusion.

I assume you've not installed FreeBSD on it? Who's to say it isn't as slow as a Linux-based OS?

You certainly can set up automounting, at least on the OS level. See the handbook. https://docs.freebsd.org/doc/13.0-R.../doc/freebsd/en/books/handbook/usb-disks.html
FreeBSD is simple, there is nothing to slow it down, i installed it on many PCs and almost everytime it worked awesome. I once managed to play 720p videos on GeForce 2 gpu with mplayer(On FreeBSD 10), when i saw that i got really interested in this OS.

EDIT:
That is not good enough, to umount someone has to type in terminal.

If I'm not mistaken, most desktop environments are now configured to use sysutils/bsdisks for automount. I tried it and I honestly have to say this implementation is completely broken at the moment (at least it was last winter). See my post about it here. I definitely wouldn't rely on this. Maybe other automount systems are more reliable, I don't know, never tried.

If I'm not mistaken, most desktop environments are now configured to use sysutils/bsdisks for automount. I tried it and I honestly have to say this implementation is completely broken at the moment (at least it was last winter). See my post about it here. I definitely wouldn't rely on this. Maybe other automount systems are more reliable, I don't know, never tried.
Thank you, i will try it on my PC with thunar to see if it works. If it doesn't, well, she will have to wait for new laptop and work on current linux system. Thank you again for your time, this matter will be marked solved.

Person is my girlfriend, she uses PC for mail, youtube, digital drawing and movies. So easy flash drive mounting is 100% necessary thing, i don't want her to type commands.
Why is this? Girls can type commands too. Just write a list of commands on a Post-It® note for her to follow and all will be good.

Why is this? Girls can type commands too. Just write a list of commands on a Post-It® note for her to follow and all will be good.
hahah, yes they can but i don't want her to mess with terminal, she doesn't want that i can tell, lets say she have two flash drives /dev/daX numbers will not be the same, so ultimately she has to learn unix stuff and that's a hassle. She opens laptop only for painting, school and movies etc...

Update:
I tried and failed, looking at freshports.org bsdisks didn't get any notable update so yeah.. There is one solution used in NomadBSD HERE but for this really simple task i don't want to mess with this enormous exercise.

Also i tried to boot NomadBSD and it made error about ~/user/.login_conf, i will maybe try GhostBSD.

FreeBSD is simple, there is nothing to slow it down, i installed it on many PCs and almost everytime it worked awesome. I once managed to play 720p videos on GeForce 2 gpu with mplayer(On FreeBSD 1), when i saw that i got really interested in this OS.

EDIT:
That is not good enough, to umount someone has to type in terminal.
No they don't, it's automounting and unmounting. Obviously you don't pull a USB out while writing to it. It all depends on whether these thunar thingies you speak of handle such, that I don't know. It's certainly doable; I have it set up that way on my personal workstation.

No they don't, it's automounting and unmounting. Obviously you don't pull a USB out while writing to it. It all depends on whether these thunar thingies you speak of handle such, that I don't know. It's certainly doable; I have it set up that way on my personal workstation.
Vermaden's automount is quite straightforward to use, from what I remember. It shouldn't be much of a tedious task to set it up.
I will try both of these when i have more time, for weekend i think. Thank you both.

Correction, i have tested XFCE4 after full installation(pkg install xfce), after installation be sure to reboot PC. Mounting is well integrated in thunar and it works fine out of the box without any configuration.

Correction, i have tested XFCE4 after full installation(pkg install xfce), after installation be sure to reboot PC. Mounting is well integrated in thunar and it works fine out of the box without any configuration.
I tried XFCE in FreeBSD-12 and found that thunar-volman is not supported in FreeBSD and mounting in Thunar didn't work. Glad to know it is now working.

Back