Because it takes up 100% of the power consumption of the CPU when you open an application?

Hello!

I'm using FreeBSD desktop, when I open an application like Firefox, it goes up to 100% of the CPU, due to that is? And that do to not consume so much CPU or Memory?

Last edited:
Is the video on the screenshot playing? If you have graphics acceleration not properly working, playing youtube videos can consume full power on slow cpus.
And with memory/RAM - today web is very memory and CPU consuming, if you open more than 10 tabs in firefox with internally complex web site full of javascripts -> it's a hog (several GB of RAM + noisy fan is not problem even on faster Core i5).

A little message for all website designers: http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/

Petr Fischer said:
And with memory/RAM - today web is very memory and CPU consuming, if you open more than 10 tabs in firefox with internally complex web site full of javascripts -> it's a hog (several GB of RAM + noisy fan is not problem even on faster Core i5).

The problem is that only this a page open, and the power consumption of the CPU goes up to 100%.

Phishfry said:
Have you tried launching with no plugins? How about launching with firefox --safe-mode
Launching with no plugins, gives these results:

$ firefox

Code:
(firefox:2099): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:403:12: 'min-height' is not a valid property name

(firefox:2099): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4206:29: Missing name of pseudo-class

(firefox:2099): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4212:11: 'min-width' is not a valid property name

(firefox:2099): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4217:12: 'min-height' is not a valid property name

(firefox:2099): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4331:20: '-gtk-icon-effect' is not a valid property name

(firefox:2099): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4344:14: 'min-height' is not a valid property name

(firefox:2099): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4366:20: '-gtk-icon-shadow' is not a valid property name

(firefox:2099): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4371:22: '-gtk-icon-shadow' is not a valid property name
Fontconfig error: "~/.fonts.conf", line 2: no element found
$

On firefox --safe-mode, launching with plugins disabled, gives these results:

$ firefox --safe-mode

Code:
(firefox:2124): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:506:50: Missing name of pseudo-class

(firefox:2124): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:512:139: Missing name of pseudo-class

(firefox:2124): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:522:35: Missing name of pseudo-class

(firefox:2124): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:578:11: 'min-width' is not a valid property name
(firefox:2124): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4183:21: '-gtk-outline-radius' is not a valid property name

(firefox:2124): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4188:11: 'min-width' is not a valid property name
(firefox:2124): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-contained.css:4371:22: '-gtk-icon-shadow' is not a valid property name
Fontconfig error: "~/.fonts.conf", line 2: no element found
A coding exception was thrown and uncaught in a Task.

Full message: TypeError: (intermediate value)[0] is undefined
Full stack: nsPlacesExpiration.prototype._loadPrefs<@resource://gre/components/nsPlacesExpiration.js:870:29
TaskImpl_run@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:319:40
Spinner.prototype.observe@resource://gre/modules/AsyncShutdown.jsm:551:9
nsAsyncShutdownClient.prototype.addBlocker/moduleBlocker/<@resource://gre/components/nsAsyncShutdown.js:157:15
Promise@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:388:5
nsAsyncShutdownClient.prototype.addBlocker/moduleBlocker@resource://gre/components/nsAsyncShutdown.js:153:29
Barrier/this.client.addBlocker/promise</trigger@resource://gre/modules/AsyncShutdown.jsm:720:23
Barrier.prototype<._wait@resource://gre/modules/AsyncShutdown.jsm:867:7
Barrier.prototype<.wait@resource://gre/modules/AsyncShutdown.jsm:851:28
Spinner.prototype.observe@resource://gre/modules/AsyncShutdown.jsm:534:17

$

What about CPU utilization? That is your problem right? Does your utilization go down with --safe-mode?
I only see max 20% CPU use myself on 4 cores and only on startup. You have something amiss.
Your CPU output only has one core showing. What does top -P look like?. All cores maxed?

What is your hardware?

I opened the same website and see nothing like that. I do use Seamonkey and not Firefox.
screenshot5.png

Phishfry said:
I only see max 20% CPU use myself on 4 cores and only on startup. You have something amiss.

As you can see in the photo, the power consumption of the CPU comes to stop between the lines of red the 94.5, in the lower part of the power consumption of the CPU reaches 108. The Memory consumption of 699M, and begins the overheat of the machine.

PGN.png

You never did mention your hardware specs. The other fellow mentioned hardware acceleration.
More specific hardware details would be helpful.
It looks like your running Mate or Gnome?

Back