Beastie boot splash logo

Hi!

I'm using beastie boot logo at my system boot but unfortunately it goes away after few seconds for displaying system boot messages.
So I was wondering if the beastie boot splash logo is doing any boot procedures in background at same time or is just sleeping delaying boot for seconds doing absolutely nothing?

Legacy Boot has better support for splash. Particularly using sc console for that.
UEFI boot splash seems to only last until vt framebuffer video kicks in.

the question is, is the system doing anything while showing that splash or is it just a timed image display?

I think the image is an overlay while the system is working.
Not timed but I believe vt framebuffer changes video mode so image then goes away.
You can shutoff loader stuff.

Code:
boot_mute="YES"
boot_verbose="NO"
beastie_disable="YES"
autoboot_delay=0

Note the excellent writeup here regarding VT color support versus sc.

vt= 16 color splash
sc= 256 color splash

until the login prompt appears on the screen

note entirely sure this is still accurate; as you pointed out earlier - this get cleared from screen by the framebuffer, drm-kmod et al. At least that's my experience with recent Intel based graphics cards.

Exactly. But that is written proof that splash is not a timed event. The image appears while kernel loading.
Terminates early due to various system events.

Ah, now I get it - I believe there's some confusion. Was wondering what grahamperrin was referring to. I believe he's pointing to the boot menu with the beastie logo on the side. That indeed *is* only counting down and doing nothing else.

… wondering what grahamperrin was referring to. I believe he's pointing to the boot menu with the beastie logo on the side. …

True;

… beastie boot logo at my system boot but unfortunately it goes away after few seconds …

From the current edition of the FreeBSD Handbook:

1699799832561.png

Strictly speaking: it's not Beastie (it's derived), and it's more than a splash screen (still, there's a splash).

Retro: jhb@ FreeBSD Splash Screens (2005-01-23)

Bonus: brand concept :)

Attachments

• 1699800250516.png
    1699800250516.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 65
… I think the image is an overlay while the system is working. …

These things are fine if the system will always work.

Generally, I don't encourage it because there's frustration if an end user can't easily tell why something is apparently stuck.

A relatively extreme example, with helloSystem:
Less dramatically, from 2021:

Back