BeagleboneBlack problem running Xorg

Hello, sorry if the wrong group, I am attempting to install Xorg on my element14 Beaglebone and I have installed it successfully but I cannot pull anything up with startx.

I see the person (Gonzo) who brought HDMI support support to FreeBSD 11-CURRENT stated online that it was possible with x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb. I can find no similar posts with instructions. Anybody have Xorg running on BBB? My Xorg seems to be trying to use a generic framebuffer and failing (beaglebone0). I have installed both xorg and xf86-video-scfb from pkg install.

I thought it might be best to ask publicly before bugging a developer. I realize FreeBSD -CURRENT is not supported here and BBB is tier2 but I have to ask somewhere.

Thanks Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Some additional information:
Running Xorg -configure it seems to stop here:
Code:
scfb trace: probe start
No Devices to Configure. Configuration failed.
Xorg.0.log shows:
Code:
 failed to load module fbdev (module does not exist)
no screens found
Tried installing x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev as a fix to no avail.
startx seems to error out at:
Code:
xauth: bad display name "beaglebone:0" in "remove" command

I suggest you to start by just adding the Device section calling the scfb driver to a blank xorg.conf and let X configure the rest automagically.

That is what threw me for a loop, the lack of a file named xorg.conf. I found the xorg.conf.d folder for the daemon.
So iI need to create a xorg.conf in that folder -just calling up scfb.
I am sure it is along those lines, I asked Gonzo to comment so maybe he will reply.
The package is there so iI bet it works, just requires the right touch.

Thank you all so much, especially for that informative RPi thread. That post is a great start. I will report back after work.

What about the moused/dbus/hal lines in rc.conf. Are they needed? Mailing list post mentions them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back