BBcode tag for users?

Recently I noticed that different people use different markup when referencing or addressing other forum users. For example, people may format the username "bofh" in any of the following ways:
  • Thanks to bofh for not deleting my files.
  • Thanks to @bofh for not deleting my files.
  • Thanks to bofh@ for not deleting my files.
  • Thanks to [red]bofh[/red] for not deleting my files.
  • and I'm probably forgetting a few too.
Perhaps a [user] tag (possibly linking to the user's profile page or something) would be nice to have, although admittedly I'm not sure how much work it would be to create one.

Username and actual user ID (numerical) are separate database entities, so you'd need a username and a subscriber ID to create a clickable username linked to a profile page in a post. That's not something I care to create, because there's no way to offer up that information to the user using that tag inside an editor. Sorry.

DutchDaemon said:
Username and actual user ID (numerical) are separate database entities, so you'd need a username and a subscriber ID to create a clickable username linked to a profile page in a post. That's not something I care to create, because there's no way to offer up that information to the user using that tag inside an editor. Sorry.
Understandable, thanks for explaining. But what about just a typesetting tag, a la [FILE]?

Why not just use [file]?

Incidentally, the trailing @, if present, is significant in user names.

You can try [USER=42747]@SomeUser[/USER] and thank @DutchDaemon later.

If you want a button for it, create one like the 'cmd', 'file' and '#' buttons ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
DutchDaemon said:
You can try [USER=42747]@SomeUser[/USER] and thank @DutchDaemon later.
How about thanking you now, @DutchDaemon? :beer The linking to user profiles was something I thought of later and it would have been nice had it not been such a hassle (or even impossibility) to implement. But at least now there's a uniform way of typesetting usernames and that's what my suggestion was really all about in the first place.

DutchDaemon said:
If you want a button for it
I never use bottons anyway, I just type tags (just like I do with HTML or Wiki markup) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back