Basic question on different SSDs

I had two SAMSUNG 870evo 1TB drives go bad within 3 months of each other. I bought them together at the same place at the same time. Dates on the drives were the same. 2021.04. Made in Korea I bought these as they were reported to be the best.

How many people use SSDs, what brand and what problems if any has occurred?

The Sandisk ones are correct but not very fast.
The Evo 980 Pro are stable and insanely fast (so are the external T7). You can try Sabrent too, it's fine.
Just avoid SATA III and use M.2 disks, the 600 MB/s bottleneck is now very problematic.

Everything I ever bought from Samsung just failed. Even one of the memory sticks, but that might be normal.

There is a controller bug in some SiliconMotion SSD controllers, it destroys the device when running SMART extended selftest and high I/O load at the same time. I had one Kingston and one HP killed by that (which is how I figured out that there is an issue - same controller in both, same moment of death).

Never run these things without redundancy.

I don't buy early release of any product, including SSD.
Notice the 2021 production date on the bricked units.
I would have no qualms about buying the same, but produced in 2024, as they slip-stream a whole lot of fixes in to correct early production failures.

The Samsung 840 PRO on the workstation writing this post has 55,970 hours, 1516 power on counts and zero errors.
Leveling count is 260, where I left 10% of the disk unused for leveling spares.
Total writes so far is 17,268 GB

My swap/page file and TMP/TEMP files are located on a physical disk, due to Windows being very chatty.

In my private business, I lose Seagate consumer drives.
Lots and lots of them, so I place WD spinners and Samsung SSD for the sysvol.

Back