Bash Login Profile Read Order

I rely on a bunch of aliases and directives in my user (admin) ~/.bash_profile. I quite often have to enter superuser to get some stuff done efficiently. I would like to source /home/rich/.bash_profile but I am having no luck finding which file to shove that directive in for it to happen upon logging in as superuser.

I tried ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc. I can't use ~/.bash_profile as I've symlinked to /home/rich/.bash_profile. None of these are working.

So this is all through SSH, so: local =SSH=> server as admin =su=> superuser

Any insight appreciated. Cheers

It seems anything in /etc takes higher priority than any user .bash_profile so that would take higher precedence. That would reload ~/.bash_profile, and could mess up my original admin login. I've tried multiple references to source the admin original, and none of them seem to load. I just don't want to screw up the original admin login. I thought FreeBSD might have some specifics that I didn't know about, so I'm posting here.

OK, created .bshrc, deleted .bashrc, same issue. Didn't even load .profile reference either. Nothing is being read. Both shells are BASH.

I come back as I have switched temporarily my account to bash
In my wide config all is set to fr_FR.UTF-8 (LC_ALL, LANG, LANGUAGE)

So I have created in ~

.bash_profile and added
Code:
export BASHPROFILE="OK"
export LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8

.profile and added :
Code:
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

.bshrc and add
Code:
export BSHRC="OK"

logout, login, printenv
Code:
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8
BASHPROFILE="OK"

Conclusion :

- Bash reads /etc/profile but ignore ~/.profile (probably used by sh)
- .bshrc is not used in FreeBSD (no BSHRC="OK") unless adding a command in .bash_profile to read ~/.bshrc
- ~/bash_profile works and overrides wide config

Bash 4.4.12_2 built from port with the following options :

COLONBREAK = yes
DOCS = yes
FDESCFS = yes
HELP = yes
STATIC = NO
SYSLOG yes

I find it works best for me, both locally and remotely, on FreeBSD, to put it all in .bashrc and have a .bash_profile that reads
Code:
source ~/.bashrc
Then it uses ~/.bashrc as expected. I don't remember what wasn't working for me to start using this method, but it works well for the various aliases and such that I use.

This is better, it won't produce an error in case ~/.bashrc doesn't exist. This is also how it's done on most Linux platforms.

~/.bash_profile:
Code:
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
  . ~/.bashrc
fi

Thanks for the testing. I just did the same, and some odd stuff is happening:

in .bashrc I entered an alias for a simple echo, and exported an environment variable that was simple. The variable showed up in env, but the alias didn't.

Tried .bshrc and nothing showed up using env.

My observations: .bashrc is partially loaded after login to root. Truly odd.

Code:
===> The following configuration options are available for bash-4.4.12_2:
     COLONBREAKSWORDS=on: Colons break words
     DOCS=on: Build and/or install documentation
     FDESCFS=off: Enable use of /dev/fd
     HELP=on: Enable builtin help
     NLS=on: Native Language Support
     STATIC=off: Build static executables and/or libraries
     SYSLOG=off: Syslog logging support

So I have created in ~

.bshrc and add
Code:
export BSHRC="OK"

Conclusion :

- Bash reads /etc/profile but ignore ~/.profile (probably used by sh)
- .bshrc is not used in FreeBSD (no BSHRC="OK") unless adding a command in .bash_profile to read ~/.bshrc
- ~/bash_profile works and overrides wide config

More strange behaviour. In .bashrc I tried this to test for /home/rich/.bash_profile then source that very same file, it works. Then I tried directly sourcing /home/rich/.bash_profile...and it now works.

Either I missed something or it's behaving poorly for some unknown reason. In any case, it works now and I thank everybody.

This is better, it won't produce an error in case ~/.bashrc doesn't exist. This is also how it's done on most Linux platforms.

~/.bash_profile:
Code:
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
  . ~/.bashrc
fi

Back