Base System - World - Userland

Terminology

I'm under the assumption that "make buildworld" is everything but the kernel.

What was the reasoning behind the term "world"? Why didn't they name it "make builduserland"?

Is there a reason why it was named "world".

Trying to understand the terminology...

PS: This is a serious question.

Base System - World - Userland

These terms all seem the same to me. All synonyms (AKA: words with identical or similar meanings). Is this true?

These terms seem to be talking about anything outside the kernel. Is this right?

Trying to get my FreeBSD terminology down.

The kernel is part of the base system. The base system is everything included with FreeBSD as an operating system. "Userland" refers to where code runs, as the opposite of being part of the kernel.

wblock@ said:
The kernel is part of the base system. The base system is everything included with FreeBSD as an operating system. "Userland" refers to where code runs, as the opposite of being part of the kernel.

When you buildworld, your building the Base system, correct? If the kernel is part of the Base system, then why do people buildkernel?

I am not an expert on this, but my understanding is that world refers to things outside of userland, i.e. the system, and not the users or their installed software.

Code:
make buildworld (here, you build userland)
make buildkernel (here, you build kernel)

In most cases, "base system" means "kernel" + "userland". In other words, "base system" = "kernel" + "userland".

Niatross said:
Ports are considered a separate entity and not considered part of the userland, correct?

They are not part of the base. Userland only refers to how stuff runs, in kernelmode or userland. So ports can be userland (most ports are in fact).

Back