Bad ping/network performance

Can you show us the relevant line of your dmesg about your em0 device and the result of
Code:
sysctl hw.em.enable_msix
You can also try to disable rxcsum/txcsum.

You could also try to use polling for em0, but you'd have to compile a new kernel for that.

dmesg for my em0 device:
Code:
em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Legacy Network Connection 1.0.3> port 0xd000-0xd03f mem 0xf7c40000-0xf7c5ffff,0xf7c20000-0xf7c3ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci4
em0: Ethernet address: 90:e2:ba:0c:8e:33
The whole dmesg output: http://pastie.org/private/yfsqzzkxgfgupj5fsfhzq

Code:
hw.em.enable_msix: 1

Disabling rxcsum/txcsum doesn't have any impact on performance/ping.

I would love to get speeds anywhere near 600mbps, I'll get blazing speeds around 10kBps ;) Here is some output suggested by the ml:

Code:
dev.em.0.tx_desc_fail2: 0

# vmstat -z|egrep 'ITEM|mbuf'
Code:
ITEM                   SIZE  LIMIT     USED     FREE      REQ FAIL SLEEP
mbuf_packet:            256,      0,     256,     640,    1486,   0,   0
mbuf:                   256,      0,       1,     513,     932,   0,   0
mbuf_cluster:          2048,  25600,     896,      60,     896,   0,   0
mbuf_jumbo_page:       4096,  12800,       0,      14,       8,   0,   0
mbuf_jumbo_9k:         9216,   6400,       0,       0,       0,   0,   0
mbuf_jumbo_16k:       16384,   3200,       0,       0,       0,   0,   0
mbuf_ext_refcnt:          4,      0,       0,       0,       0,   0,   0

# pciconf -lvc
Code:
em0@pci0:4:0:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x13768086 chip=0x107c8086 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82541PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
    cap 01[dc] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D3  current D0
    cap 07[e4] = PCI-X supports 2048 burst read, 1 split transaction
Complete pciconf output here http://pastie.org/private/0m6t36hizxvkrhm76wi31w

I tried the suggested sysctl options from the ml, but sadly they don't have any effect on the performance...

No, but I found the source of the problem. It's the mainboard in "interaction" with any network card plugged into the PCI port. Debian for instance also has a problem with the board and an extra network card. If I switch the mainboard, then the problem is gone... I should have known it, that a brand new mainboard wouldn't be the best option for a linux/unix based server...
Many thanks to all of you who helped me out here.

Next step: build my own kernel with network support for the onboard network card.

While you are at it, build with polling and try, I'm just curious.
I had relatively new motherboard with similar problem (any network PCI card would instantaneously jump to 50% CPU utilization, while on-board card worked). Polling solved it.

You just need extra line or two* in kernel:

Code:
options DEVICE_POLLING
options HZ=1000

*I think most hardware is @ 1000 Hz so this wouldn't matter.

[FreeNAS] slightly off topic

Hey, @Zer0 I know it's a bit outdated now, but I'm looking for supporting information on whether a Z77 motherboard's SATA controller will be recognized by FreeNAS.

So your post implies it will, seeing that FreeNAS is now v9.1. Do you have any updates on how your system is functioning?
Since I couldn't find anything in the FreeBSD hardware support list regarding Z77 support, I have to ask those having tried...

Thanks in advance for your answer :))

Last edited by a moderator:
free-and-bsd said:
Hey, @Zer0 I know it's a bit outdated now, but I'm looking for supporting information on whether a Z77 motherboard's SATA controller will be recognized by FreeNAS.
I have an Asus Sabertooth Z77. It works just fine with FreeBSD 9.x.

free-and-bsd said:

So your post implies it will, seeing that FreeNAS is now v9.1. Do you have any updates on how your system is functioning?
Since I couldn't find anything in the FreeBSD hardware support list regarding Z77 support, I have to ask those having tried...

Thanks in advance for your answer :))

I switched to Debian since I'm way more familiar with it so I can't comment on your question. But it should work, @SirDice answer suggests this too.

Ha-ha, that's great, guys, thanks a lot :).

And me, I'm really getting dull :(... I even have 2 machines in my office just recently built (by my own self!) on the basis of Z77-based mobos, so there's no reason why I couldn't just insert a FreeNAS CD (or a FreeBSD for that matter) into either of them and see how it boots and recognizes the hardware... Hope you will excuse me.

@Zer0, understand you perfectly well, because I've done this move many times myself. Yet, with Linux advancing further and further down the path it's chosen I'm coming to love FreeBSD more and more. Which results in my getting to know it better, too.

Back