Solved Availability of wifi devices in memstick/live install image

I want to explore FreeBSD on real hardware but I'm not sure does wifi devices on my laptops are supported. So I downloaded memstick image and boot from it to the live mode on three different laptops (2 ASUS Zen and one Lenovo IdeaPAD). In each case I see in dmesg information about device (iwm0 on ASUS and ath0 on Lenovo), but ifconfig -l shows only lo0 interface. But when I insert USB network card, after messages about plugged device ifconfig -l shows additional network interface en0.

Why I don't see wlan network interfaces as ready to configure? Does it mean that my installation will not support thats devices?

Yes - I read handbook but missed very important entry - creating wlan interface as cloned from real device using ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev <device>. As person long time using Linux and different Unix systems I didn't suspect such mapping operation. scottro - your site was very helpful for me - thank you!

Trite though it sounds, that's the reason I do it, to help folks avoid the things I missed. I'm glad the page was helpful.

Back