Automate Ghost style backup.

As one of a number of backup techniques, I use G4U to create a disk image from my main system.

For those not familiar with G4U, it uses a Live NetBSD CD to boot and creates an image file using dd, which is sent by FTP to a system on the same network.

Today my CD drive died and it made me think "Is there a simpler, non-interactive, way to do this?"

So there you have it, can I create a disk image, which I could restore onto a blank disk, without all the rebooting and mucking about with CDs?

Do you mean a "bare metal restore", where the backup media is bootable and restores itself? If you have an always-on machine, it can easily be set up as a PXE boot server. I use mfsBSD booted from my server for that. Also Clonezilla, mainly for backing up Windows systems.

wblock@ said:
Do you mean a "bare metal restore", where the backup media is bootable and restores itself? If you have an always-on machine, it can easily be set up as a PXE boot server. I use mfsBSD booted from my server for that. Also Clonezilla, mainly for backing up Windows systems.

As usual, for me, my question was a bit vague. What I want is something that creates an image I can restore onto a blank disk, the restore method is unimportant, what I seek is an unattended backup method, so I don't have to remember to do it myself.

Back