Auto mounting again...

Those are linux problem and linux patches.
Try to find same bug in FreeBSD or report the bug.

Actually my thread wasn't about all that.
Perhaps it's not bad idea to open new thread about your problems: it would be more visible.

There's something else too. Looks like gvfs-hal-volume-monitor core dumping is a separate problem (at least for me).

If there are no usb sticks plugged in when I start this computer, gvfs-hal-volume-monitor doesn't see anything. It doesn't crash, it does nothing. Looks like hal can't see new usb mass memory devices if there isn't one plugged in when it's started. When I stop gdm, restart hal (with a plugged usb drive) it works. In fact everything seems to work as expected, except the 8GB stick.

The ubuntu bug is probably a different one, with the exactly same manifestation though. It says on the launchpad that "the issue is fixed with gvfs 1.3.1", freebsd already has gvfs 1.6.x

Well, why should a stick be shown, before being plugged in? That behavior is correct. What you can do for a better understanding of the situation though: Deactivate automounting in nautilus in gconfeditor and the the stick will be shown (not mounted) in nautilus/computer-icon together with cdrom and other drives, but the moment you double-click on the stick-symbol to mount it it will disappear with all other icons but "filesystem". I also experienced that when restarting gvfs the icons reappear. And I could also produce a crash in a certain situation. So it really seems to be a problem around gvfs.
How do you know that the mentioned patch is only for Linux? Maybe it works for us, too and has never been integrated to the gvfs-freebsd-port? I would really like to try to include that patch into the port and then recompile it. But how would I do that?
And yes, I know, this thread started with a different question, but it was called "Automounting again". And I reacted because you claimed to be able to mount sticks.
Maybe the solution that original question is in question two of the HAL-FAQ
"How do I prevent hal from probing a device?".
And yes, I think I'm gomma write to the freebsd gnome team.

cabriofahrer, the ubuntu linux problem was with gvfs-1.3.1, we have gvfs-1.6.1 in freebsd. The patch was included to the gvfs source tree around gvfs-1.3.x.

What I meant before was this: If there is no usb mass memory plugged in when HAL is started, it will never see any of those. Plugging any usb mass memory device does nothing. Not until I stop gdm, restart hal WITH a plugged usb device.

This isn't proper behaviour, since in practice I have to stop X.org entirely and restart hal from CLI to get a usb device mounted (through nautilus), if I started everything without one.

Now that I think of it, I'm running an entirely diskless freebsd. Maybe HAL has trouble with local disks if it is started without any of those around.

To automount only removable media, pop this in a HAL policy file like /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/20-disable-fixed-automount.fdi:
Code:
<device>
  <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
    <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
      <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
    </match>
  </match>
</device>

Meanwhile I've found out that the problem in gnome is only with USB-Sticks with FAT32 format, but with FAT16 formatted sticks it works just fine. So how can that be?

Back