Solved authoritative DNS advise

Hi,

We are a small web development business and we provide hosting soltions for all our clients..
So far we have used a third party to host the DNS part of our business..
We looked at taking control of the DNS ourself but we were advise to strong stick with a dedicated third party as any tiny mistake and distroy the entire system..

I have been reading online and it look like this is a wise advise that I have been given..
So question for the most experience users here...

What is it better for authoritative name servers, shall I use bind or a 3rd party?
If third party could anyone recommend a good provider?

We curently have around 20 domains

Thank you

We are a small web development business and we provide hosting soltions for all our clients..
So far we have used a third party to host the DNS part of our business..
We looked at taking control of the DNS ourself but we were advise to strong stick with a dedicated third party as any tiny mistake and distroy the entire system..
It's basically an issue of cost efficiency and risk management / assessment.

Hosting a domain on your own DNS server is one thing, registering it is another. If you already have to contact a registrant to actually register the domain, then why not also rely on their hosting services? Another thing to keep in mind are costs. Right now you're pretty much done with registering a domain and pointing it to your IP address, when hosting your own you'll need to set up some kind of hosting structure for that as well.

Setting up a domain on a DNS server takes more than simply pointing some names to some numbers ;)

Of course that's not saying it cannot be rewarding. But generally speaking I think hosting your own domains is usually more hassle than its worth.

What is it better for authoritative name servers, shall I use bind or a 3rd party?
If third party could anyone recommend a good provider?
What do you mean with 3rd party? An external registrant or a 3rd party DNS server (there's actually more than just ISC Bind)?

Can't really answer this. Generally speaking I think you're better off using a registrant. Which one... depends, there are plenty of good ones out there.

Hi,

At the moment I buy my domain from 123-reg and then I set the ns1/ns2 record to my dns server..
I don't register the domains with ICAN
By 3rd party i mean services like google cloud dns, dnsmadeeasy etc..

Late Sunday (Monday morning), 2 AM. Big client can't reach their site. Some DNS issue. After an hour, it turns out that someone left out a period in a reverse zone file.
Do you feel like fixing it?

It's not that difficult to do the basic stuff, but it can get complicated easily. How much do they charge you for the DNS management? Less than the cost of an employee? (From your description, it sounds as if no one there really knows DNS, so someone will have to learn.)

There's also tinydns, a DJB (David Bernstein, did qmail and other things) implementation of DNS that is simpler than BIND, though doing SPF records, (for example) can become a pain.

Or, while you're getting the hang of it, use something like dnsmadeeasy as your primary, and then later, move over to your own.

If the cost of the company managing it for you isn't really prohibitive, and you're already busy, I'd say stay with them. It is true that a small mistake can bring down the whole thing.

Ok sound like I am going the third party route..
I know nothing about DNS and don't really have the time to learn it all...
SO has anyone got any advise on a decent DNS service provider?

Back